cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #61
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I'm glad you picked up on that.

The leaders are pushing for assimilation and many rank-and-file are pushing back.

Again, go read the goddamn book before you condemn it.
I don't have to read the book. I reject the stated premise

Quote:
Since there's no longer a really obvious way to distinguish "the one true faith" from the others, they make up extra rules to show their piety, like caffeine or white-shirts or facial hair.
There are plenty of obvious things which distinguish us from other faiths; which is why the evangelical nation by and large refuses to accept us as a Christian faith. If we were that homogenized, we would be a part of the Christian Collective.

I'm not really interested in the Maussian psychoanalysis of the white shirt phenomenon.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #62
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I don't have to read the book. I reject the stated premise

There are plenty of obvious things which distinguish us from other faiths; which is why the evangelical nation by and large refuses to accept us as a Christian faith. If we were that homogenized, we would be a part of the Christian Collective.

I'm not really interested in the Maussian psychoanalysis of the white shirt phenomenon.
Do you really think there is plenty. I think it gets down to 1 thing. We claim to be the only church with Gods authority. That must really piss them off. All the other stuff is just things they pull out to show we aren't Gods only church.

How do you feel when they tell you you are going to hell if you believe in works and say it over and over again. It pisses me off. I don't like someone telling me I can't think for myself and it is God that is telling them to let me know I can't.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #63
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Do you really think there is plenty. I think it gets down to 1 thing. We claim to be the only church with Gods authority. That must really piss them off. All the other stuff is just things they pull out to show we aren't Gods only church.

How do you feel when they tell you you are going to hell if you believe in works and say it over and over again. It pisses me off. I don't like someone telling me I can't think for myself and it is God that is telling them to let me know I can't.
Actually, it goes a little deeper than that. Indy's right, there's a lot out there that distinguishes us from them.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #64
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Actually, it goes a little deeper than that. Indy's right, there's a lot out there that distinguishes us from them.
Could be, I am just not that familiar with evangelicals to tell you the truth.

Had some in my house once and after one half hour of they were right I was wrong, I had to throw them out.

On my mission we mainly taught Catholics.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #65
Indy Coug

Quote:

Let's just throw out some examples:

Temple worship
Rejection of the doctrine of the Trinity
Man's relationship to God and Eternal Progression/Exaltation
Degrees of Glory
Premortality
Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #66
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Temple worship
Degrees of Glory
Premortality
green Jell-o
funeral potatoes
diluted red punch flavored drink
trunk or treat
Austin 4:18

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #67
BYU71

Quote:

Temple worship
Degrees of Glory
Premortality
Why don't you think they have the dislike level for the Catholics they do for us. Surely the Catholics have as many differences. Heck, aren't evangelicals protestant. They protested and broke away from the Catholic church. Why not the hatred for them.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #68
Indy Coug

Quote:
Why don't you think they have the dislike level for the Catholics they do for us. Surely the Catholics have as many differences. Heck, aren't evangelicals protestant. They protested and broke away from the Catholic church. Why not the hatred for them.
Satan? Either that or the common bond of the trinitarian doctrine.

JFK wasn't exactly embraced by the evangelicals either.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #69
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Catholics are not very aggressive in prosylitizing. We are in your face and genuinely threaten to take their members.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #70
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Catholics are not very aggressive in prosylitizing. We are in your face and genuinely threaten to take their members.
Imagine if Bronco was released as head coach at BYU and called to Elder Ballard's position?

We'd rule the world! (And Utes would have a better chance too, which a good thing for this ALUF.)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote