cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is Chris Miles upside?

If you have the following categories:

awful
liability
serviceable
good
excellent

I think Plaisted has now gone from good to excellent with this year's improvement in his game.

I see Miles somewhere in the liability/serviceable area. He will never get down the court like Plaisted (but P is a little bit of a freak that way). He has it seems slow foot speed. But he does seem to have decent coordination in that he can move his body parts where his brain tells them to go (sometimes missing in big guys). The unknowns for me are basketball IQ, and technique. Just haven't seen enough of him yet. So the question for me is whether he becomes solidly serviceable this year, and is he good next year? I doubt he will ever be excellent.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

The most telling thing about Miles is how freaked out those missionaries in Portland were to see their former colleague in the game. Too bad he isn't redshirting this year.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Serviceable to Good depending on how hard he works.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If you have the following categories:

awful
liability
serviceable
good
excellent

I think Plaisted has now gone from good to excellent with this year's improvement in his game.

I see Miles somewhere in the liability/serviceable area. He will never get down the court like Plaisted (but P is a little bit of a freak that way). He has it seems slow foot speed. But he does seem to have decent coordination in that he can move his body parts where his brain tells them to go (sometimes missing in big guys). The unknowns for me are basketball IQ, and technique. Just haven't seen enough of him yet. So the question for me is whether he becomes solidly serviceable this year, and is he good next year? I doubt he will ever be excellent.
All summer people talked about Miles starting at the 5 with Plaisted at the 4. I kept reminding them of how bad Miles looked as a freshman, offensively. His field goal was 36% 29/81. That's awful when half your shots are within three feet of the basket. This year he's the same 36% 4/11.

I thought he looked good in the blue/white game and made a positive evaluation and thought he had made a lot of progress, offensively, since before his mish. But watching him since, I take that back.

He has upside, it remains to be seen if he'll reach it. He has the body and the physical ability. He won't be a Plaisted type that's really quick but he can be a dominating college center with his height and build.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Are we talking basketball potential or kick boxing potential?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Miles' upside:

He's Legit 6'11"

He is a good defender in the post

He is more athletic than most big guys

He does a decent job passing out of the post

I dont think he will ever be a great offensive player but with the scorers he will have around him who cares. The one thing I think he needs to work on more than anything is his foot work in the post. It is awful. YOu should watch him warm up when they do that drill where the post guys catch the ball with their backs to the basket. He is by far the mos uncoordinated with his foot work, which is kinda weird because he seems pretty coordinated at everything else.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

That's a tough question. Miles is a Timpview grad so I watched him all through high school and was never that impressed. Always seemed kind of awkward and unathletic.

But what do I know?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

I think he can get past being a liability and be a serviceable big man. And if he does that, I'll be pleased. Just not a very impressive player at this point.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
Miles' upside:

He's Legit 6'11"

He is a good defender in the post

He is more athletic than most big guys

He does a decent job passing out of the post

I dont think he will ever be a great offensive player but with the scorers he will have around him who cares. The one thing I think he needs to work on more than anything is his foot work in the post. It is awful. YOu should watch him warm up when they do that drill where the post guys catch the ball with their backs to the basket. He is by far the mos uncoordinated with his foot work, which is kinda weird because he seems pretty coordinated at everything else.
He is strangely unpolished in that respect for a Timpview product. He also struggles with his touch around the basket. Someone should tell him to start using the glass so touch isn't a factor.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote