cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default Why the venom towards the Lakers?

I have never really understood the Jazz fans hatred towards the Lakers. Is it a Yankee, evil empire thing? And while many hate the Lakers for that reason why do Jazz fans in particular get so riled up over these games? They aren't in the same division. This was a regular season game 15 games in. They aren't rivals. At least not in the eyes of Laker fans. So why the meltdown?

I admit it last week the Jazz beat the Lakers. And the better team won. The Lakers squandered a lead and an opportunity to close out a game they had in command. Though there were some questionable calls down the stretch. They didn't affect Parker going under the screen allowing Deron Williams an open look at a big 3. It didn't explain Kobe's poor 4th quarter. And no matter what Phil complained about, Boozer owned Bynum and Kwame. Barkley's comments were spot on prior to the game last night. The Jazz have amazing fans and the Delta Center is an intimidating place to play and officiate. That's home court advantage. Stockton and Malone benefited from it for years.

But all of the whining today about the calls and FT differential? C'mon. The Jazz could have shot 30 more free throws last night and still lost.

And is it just me or do Utah sports fans whine about officiating more than others? Ute games, BYU games, and Jazz games and their outcomes always seem to hinge on the officiating.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Because they are evil. So are the Yankees and Duke.

Evil organizations should rightly be loathed.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Because Magic Johnson showed what a lousy organization it was, when management didn't support the Coach and fired Westhphall instead.

That organization sucks. There are two axis of evil, the New York Yankees and the LA Lakers.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I am an avid Yankee's hater I never get a chance to know what it is like to root for an evil empire, except for pro basketball season. I am honored as a Laker fan to feel the hate. I am also glad that we are getting closer to being worth hating again.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Since I am an avid Yankee's hater I never get a chance to know what it is like to root for an evil empire, except for pro basketball season. I am honored as a Laker fan to feel the hate. I am also glad that we are getting closer to being worth hating again.
I must say that I understand where you're coming from.

I've been a Dallas Cowboys fan since I was a little kid. I still have my old Cowboys pennant signed by Drew Pearson.

Like the Lakers and Yankees, for love or hate the Cowboys garner that kind of same passion.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Why I hate the Lakers

1. they're a main rival to the Jazz.
2. Lot's of annoying California transplants in Utah who think SoCal is the shit and Utah sucks (so what exactly are you doing here then?). They're Laker fans.
3. Bandwaggoners from Utah who root for the Lakers.
4. Kobe. The guy is a great player, but he's not a quality human being and he's so freakin arrogant the way he cocks his head back and chews that stupid gum with a smirk on his face. He makes Jordan look humble. I hate him.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Do the Lakers consider the Jazz a "main rival", or is it just the Jazz fan that thinks this way? Ihaven't followed the NBA very closely the past several years. But I just don't remember the big Lakers-Jazz rivalry you guys refer to. From my experience, I would think the Bulls and the Kings would have a bigger claim on being hated rivals to the Jazz than the Lakers.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I have never really understood the Jazz fans hatred towards the Lakers. Is it a Yankee, evil empire thing? And while many hate the Lakers for that reason why do Jazz fans in particular get so riled up over these games? They aren't in the same division. This was a regular season game 15 games in. They aren't rivals. At least not in the eyes of Laker fans. So why the meltdown?

I admit it last week the Jazz beat the Lakers. And the better team won. The Lakers squandered a lead and an opportunity to close out a game they had in command. Though there were some questionable calls down the stretch. They didn't affect Parker going under the screen allowing Deron Williams an open look at a big 3. It didn't explain Kobe's poor 4th quarter. And no matter what Phil complained about, Boozer owned Bynum and Kwame. Barkley's comments were spot on prior to the game last night. The Jazz have amazing fans and the Delta Center is an intimidating place to play and officiate. That's home court advantage. Stockton and Malone benefited from it for years.

But all of the whining today about the calls and FT differential? C'mon. The Jazz could have shot 30 more free throws last night and still lost.

And is it just me or do Utah sports fans whine about officiating more than others? Ute games, BYU games, and Jazz games and their outcomes always seem to hinge on the officiating.

What's not to hate about them?

Rocky is correct.

Baseball evil = Yankees
Football evil = Cowboys
Basketball evil = Lakers

I think a lot of people's hatred of the Lakers isn't really because of the Lakers organization - it's more because the Lakers are representative of the city of LA and quite honestly, I don't think there is a more superficial city anywhere on the planet and that's mainly because of Hollywood. I hate celebrities and Laker players are treated as celebrities.

As for whining about officiating, while I'll concede that far too many sports fans in Utah do it (a lot of that is the "we poor Mormons are always pursecuted" complex that is rather prevalent here), I will always contend that nobody whines more about officiating than Phil Jackson. The guy was fined $25K after bitching aboutthe officials after the game in SLC. (Rather ironic, considering the whining that goes on here, no?)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 12-02-2006 at 01:25 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:00 AM   #9
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Do the Lakers consider the Jazz a "main rival", or is it just the Jazz fan that thinks this way? Ihaven't followed the NBA very closely the past several years. But I just don't remember the big Lakers-Jazz rivalry you guys refer to. From my experience, I would think the Bulls and the Kings would have a bigger claim on being hated rivals to the Jazz than the Lakers.
Like I said in my original post, being an avid Laker fan I have never thought of the Jazz as a rival. I think it's Jazz fans that think it's a rivalry.

I do understand the evil empire claim. I hate the Yankees for those same reasons. However, I think baseball is an entirely different beast because of the lack of a salary cap that tempers other leagues. Even though I hate the Yankees I still respect their organization. Say what you will, Steinbrenner is committed to winning. And he'll do whatever it takes. The pennants speak for themselves.

It's interesting that so much of the hate for the Lakers is derived or intensified by Kobe Bryant. Had Bryant stayed with Hornets and played his entire career with that franchise do you think the hate for the Lakers would be as deep? And how much of the hate for Kobe would be diminished if he never played for the Lakers?

I love how everyone faults Kobe...for his affair, for modeling his game after MJ. Shouldn't the best always be the benchmark and the person you emulate? MJ's extracurricular activities off the court are well documented. And I am not talking about his gambling habits either.

Besides, I'd like to see all the Kobe haters inherit Bryant's talent and skills and not be cocky or arrogant. Hell I don't have 1/1000th the game he does and I still talk smack. UtahDan can attest to that.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:36 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Like I said in my original post, being an avid Laker fan I have never thought of the Jazz as a rival. I think it's Jazz fans that think it's a rivalry.
This sounds so much like BYU fans who claim that it's the Utes who take the rivalry more seriously. I don't think the rivalry betwen the Jazz and Lakers is like it was when Stockton and Malone were playing. I've never heard boos for those two like I did in the Forum back in the 90s.

Quote:
It's interesting that so much of the hate for the Lakers is derived or intensified by Kobe Bryant. Had Bryant stayed with Hornets and played his entire career with that franchise do you think the hate for the Lakers would be as deep? And how much of the hate for Kobe would be diminished if he never played for the Lakers?

I love how everyone faults Kobe...for his affair, for modeling his game after MJ. Shouldn't the best always be the benchmark and the person you emulate? MJ's extracurricular activities off the court are well documented. And I am not talking about his gambling habits either.

Besides, I'd like to see all the Kobe haters inherit Bryant's talent and skills and not be cocky or arrogant. Hell I don't have 1/1000th the game he does and I still talk smack. UtahDan can attest to that.
Kobe brings a lot of it upon himself. When he first came into the league, I had no problem with him until the All-Star game either his rookie or 2nd year when Malone set a pick for him but he waved it off wanting instead to take MJ on one-on-one. I lost all respect for him that day.

While I can agree it's hard not to be cocky when you have that kind of talent, I do have to say that there is a difference between cockiness and arrogance. Stockton wasn't the scorer nor had the athletic ability that Kobe does, but that guy just let his game speak for himself and was the epitome of a team player. Sure, he was dirty, but he was never an in-your-face kind of player who felt he had to one-up everyone on the floor.

Kobe is a helluva player, but his actions on and off the court speak for themselves.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote