cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #31
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I like ramen. I grew up in Hawaii eating saimin. I love it with fried egg and char siu. My dad usually adds fish cake to his. Sliced green onions are nice also. And when I don't have any of the above I always have a few cans of spam in the cupboard. It's a staple for Hawaiians. I usually add a healthy dose of ground pepper to mine and soyu. It's good stuff.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #32
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

when I was poor, living in Newport on 34th street at the tender age of 19, I would open up a bag, shake in the 31 secret spice bag and eat away. It was a great pre morning surf session breakfast and required no cook time or cleanup. Very disgusting but not at that age or financial demographic. My mom would show up about once every two months and take me to Costco and I would load up on top ramen and cup of noodles, which were the same thing in a different shape.......kinda like Taco Bell.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
when I was poor, living in Newport on 34th street at the tender age of 19, I would open up a bag, shake in the 31 secret spice bag and eat away. It was a great pre morning surf session breakfast and required no cook time or cleanup. Very disgusting but not at that age or financial demographic. My mom would show up about once every two months and take me to Costco and I would load up on top ramen and cup of noodles, which were the same thing in a different shape.......kinda like Taco Bell.
Coach, you surfed off the peninsula? Black's Beach? Newport?

We sometimes go to the rolling 30s, but it is blackballed so often that it gets annoying. if you go early morning, like you said, it can be fun. During the day, they wont even let you put a skimboard on the sand because there are 50 kids running around everywhere.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #34
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

well I used to surf right out front on 34th and seashore the rock jetties ran like 32 to 36th in front of my house. I surfed the river jetties alot. Usually just where we could walk to since we had no car. Where is Blacks? I know of Blacks in SD but I am not sure of the newport locale. Used to go to the wedge and try and break our necks. In fact in 93 there was a 2 page spread in surfing where my friends and I were featured(interviewed and pictures) for being out(not surfing, but body surfing) on one of the biggest days recorded at the wedge. Miss those days......

Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 12-10-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #35
TripletDaddy

This in today's LA Times....for Mike.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...la-home-center

Also, if you find you are unable to read LA Times without being registered (sometimes it makes you register, sometimes no), can I post the article directly here?

The gyst is a guy who is dedicated to ramen and is an expert, traveling the world to explore the best ramen. He has his own comprehensive website, which is a lot of fun to read. Warning: very LA-centric, so out-of-towners may not find it as fun to read. But could be handy if you are ever in town.

http://www.rameniac.com/

Also, for those visiting LA/OC, the 3 blogs mentioned at the end of the LA Times article are also very good for the local food scene and worth reading if you enjoy epicureanism.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

that's a nice article.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that's a nice article.
it basically makes me really hungry for ramen. I am going to go to the Asian market today by my house and buy some noodles.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
it basically makes me really hungry for ramen. I am going to go to the Asian market today by my house and buy some noodles.
Have you seen Tampopo? If not, rent it immediately.

Do not watch it with your kids. It is a rated-R type comedy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #39
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We buy our top-grade Ramen at Wal-Mart. The little known brand is called "Maruchan".

Actually I like "Top Ramen" better, but it Wal-Mart does not sell it.

Sure I would prefer to have non-dehydrated ramen. Sure I would like to watch "Tampopo", and not the BYU-edited version, than go to work. But life isn't perfect.
By the way, the raw ramen (miso-flavored) that I was telling you about is also Maruchan brand. If you boardmail me your mailing address, I will send you a package.