cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
If I was cooking the turkey this year, this is what I would use. You might need to double it, depending on how big your turkey is.

1 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
6 cloves garlic, crushed
several sprigs of rosemary or thyme
2 bay leaves

Mix a day in advance, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Cool and pour into container big enough to hold brine and turkey. Refrigerate, breast side down for at least 12 hours, turning at least once.
Brining is very trendy this year. Personally, I would go with a fresh herbal rub since everyone else will be brining. I brined a turkey a few years ago and it worked out great. My recipe:

Water
Apple Cider
Kosher salt
brown sugar
cinnamon sticks
cloves
chili powder

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
good or bad?

I'm trying to decide whether to make the investment in the equipment and oil...
I recommend using a rotisserie. Couple years ago I upgraded my backyard grill to something bigger to be able to do whole chickens and turkeys this way (with propane). Sear the skin first and then slow roast, locks in the juices like the deep fryer without all the excess oil. Excellent flavor. Bad news is that this year it looks like its going to be quite cold and windy so I've already punted on cooking outdoors (takes too long in the cold) and we're going to do the oven bag thing.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I recommend using a rotisserie. Couple years ago I upgraded my backyard grill to something bigger to be able to do whole chickens and turkeys this way (with propane). Sear the skin first and then slow roast, locks in the juices like the deep fryer without all the excess oil. Excellent flavor. Bad news is that this year it looks like its going to be quite cold and windy so I've already punted on cooking outdoors (takes too long in the cold) and we're going to do the oven bag thing.
we have a smoker and have liked the results of smoking in the past. Want to try something different.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #14
YardTime

YardTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
"As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly."
That was from WKRP in Cincinnati. Ummm.....can't remember the name of the guy that said it. Johnny something? That was supposed to have been a HILARIOUS episode.

I think the radio station had some kind of publicity stunt where they were dropping live turkeys from a helicopter and whoever caught them, got to keep them and have them for Thanksgiving or something. Unfortunately the turkeys, unable to fly, dropped like a rock.

Turkeys can actually fly though.
YardTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:54 AM   #15
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Don't be a jerky, fry that turkey!
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

How much oil for the average turkey? or better yet, how much $ in oil for the average turkey?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:55 AM   #17
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
If I was cooking the turkey this year, this is what I would use. You might need to double it, depending on how big your turkey is.

1 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
6 cloves garlic, crushed
several sprigs of rosemary or thyme
2 bay leaves

Mix a day in advance, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Cool and pour into container big enough to hold brine and turkey. Refrigerate, breast side down for at least 12 hours, turning at least once.
Farrah - I'm trying your brine recipe. Mixing it up right now. I'll let you know how it turns out.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 AM   #18
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardTime View Post
That was from WKRP in Cincinnati. Ummm.....can't remember the name of the guy that said it. Johnny something? That was supposed to have been a HILARIOUS episode.

I think the radio station had some kind of publicity stunt where they were dropping live turkeys from a helicopter and whoever caught them, got to keep them and have them for Thanksgiving or something. Unfortunately the turkeys, unable to fly, dropped like a rock.

Johnny Fever.

WKRP was a great show - Les Nessman and his walls... oh, and that Loni Anderson - she drove my 10 year old self crazy!
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:36 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardTime View Post

Mr. Carlson is who said it. Les Nessman was reporting from the mall when the turkeys were dropped from the helicopter.

IMO, it was the funniest episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.

And Orange, I always preferred Baily to Jennifer.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 AM   #20
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Farrah - I'm trying your brine recipe. Mixing it up right now. I'll let you know how it turns out.
The turkey turned out pretty good. Significantly more moist than a regular turkey. Overall I don't think the brine added significant flavor to the turkey (I could only really taste it in the outer pieces) but the additional mositure was definitely better than an unbrined turkey.

One thing I forgot was to turn the turkey. Not sure what effect this had.

Brining is so easy that I really don't see a reason to ever cook a turkey again without brining it. Thanks for the recipe Farrah.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 11-24-2007 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Added additional info
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote