cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #21
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
The cheesecake cupcakes one is from a fun little cooking blog called cookingforengineers.com. It has detailed instructions, pictures, and a little algorithm-like recipe card at the bottom.
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake-Cupcakes

Toffee
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-To...sy/Detail.aspx

Thank You. I think I will go with the cheesecake next week. Much appreciated
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Thanks DDD,
I believe the gods will have plenty to eat by the time I have any ready for human consumption. Any idea if it will be possible to make churro candy canes or am I asking for my destruction?
Not sure, but it could be interesting to mix crushed candy cane into your churro dough. I dont know how it would handle the frying in oil, though.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #23
Coach McGuirk

more just looking for the shape of a candy cane. I will give it a try.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:00 AM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
These would be perfect. How would you say they compare to Disneyland churros. Those are kind of my benchmark on churros.
In Tijuana they sell bags of 10 churros for $1.50, freshly made right in front of you.

Meanwhile during the holidays I love Danish Kringles, pecan pie, and homemade frosted sugar cookies. I can't stand store-bought frosted sugar cookies, the only exception being at Schmidt's Pastry Cottage in Utah.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #25
Coach McGuirk

Thanks DDD, they were a hit and I was only up till 1 am last night. I made 3 batches before I got the cook time and oil temp just right. By the way my wife loved me reenacting your directions word for word, "Harder, Faster".
Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Thanks DDD, they were a hit and I was only up till 1 am last night. I made 3 batches before I got the cook time and oil temp just right. By the way my wife loved me reenacting your directions word for word, "Harder, Faster".
That is the best part of the recipe.....

So, to clarify, when you say you made 3 batches, do you mean that you put three test churros into the oil....or you made the entire yield of the recipe 3 times (in other words, 9 eggs, cups and cups of flour, etc...)?

Did you serve them hot? Did you try it with the chocolate?

Once you get the knack, they are actually pretty easy to make. Until then, you get soggy ones or burned ones.

If you get them right, everyone usually loves them and it is a fun little family activity. The dipping sauce makes it perfect, though, FYI.

Glad it worked out. Viva Churros.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #27
Coach McGuirk

I made three entire batches! I just could not get them to be either soggy piles of goo or stiff as a board. But I nailed it on the third batch. BTW it is 7 on full burner for a GE Profile oven. I served them warm heated in the oven this morning and then off to work.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
OK, so I am posting our churro recipe, which isnt really our recipe. We combined it with a few recipes we found (one from watching Food Network) and experimented until we found something we liked....
My daughter wants to make churros. We are going to give this a shot. I will tell you how it goes.

By the way, when we were in France a couple of years ago we had the French equivalent of churros; they called them "chichi's" as I recall. They would cook them for you on the side of the street and serve them with cinnamon sugar or nutella. They were heavenly.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
My daughter wants to make churros. We are going to give this a shot. I will tell you how it goes.

By the way, when we were in France a couple of years ago we had the French equivalent of churros; they called them "chichi's" as I recall. They would cook them for you on the side of the street and serve them with cinnamon sugar or nutella. They were heavenly.
Mmmmmm....nutella. That stuff makes everything that normally tastes bad taste good and everything that tastes good taste better.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote