cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 05:01 AM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides the ones i cook on my grill, the best steaks in order:

3. Little hole in the wall restaurant right on the water in seattle, cant think of the name but unbelievable steak
2. Shulas steakhouse
1. Porters Place on Main street in lehi
Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A few rules:

First of all, I'd be very surprised if a chain restaurant made anything as good as it could be. There are a few very good chain restaurants such as Oceanaire seafood restaurant, but they invariably do not have a great many locations, and they specialize in serving their secialty cuisine at the highest level. That is their whole purpose in life. But the best locally focused places are still a little better than even the rare strong chain restaurant. Mass producing food precludes its greatness. Thus, Ruth's Chris is out. Needless to say, Outback is not a serioius contender.

Second, the best steak must either be a New York or tenderloin (filet mignon) cut, depending on whether your steak must be as tender as possible and how much fat you tolerate. Ultimately, probably the ternderloin is the greatest cut of beef by a paper thin margin, but I have picked many a New York depending on my mood. A porterhouse (T-Bone with the full eye) will give you the best of both worlds, but that's a lot of food, and you have to navigate the bone. The only caveat to the foregoing is that if you have a taste for fat (as I do) the Ribeye is an awfully good cut, and depending on my mood I have on occasion taken that over a ternderloin or a New York. This rule nixes those spitted "sirloin" cuts at the Brazilian places (but I do like the Brazilian places for different reasons).

Third, to qualify for among the best, the steak must be aged, preferably at least 20 days. Period. Again, this disqualifies the Brazilian places and most any chain. It also precludes any steak you buy in a market except the very highest end speacialty meat markets.

Fourth, a great steak cannot be fully enjoyed without a glass of decent Cabarnet Savignon. On a hot summer night try a Bombay Saphire martini with tiny shards of ice as an accompaniment.

Fifth, you cannot cook as good a steak on your grill as you can get at a great steak restaurant. No exceptions. You can cook a very good one at home, but a steak at a great steak reastaurant is always the pinnacle. You don't have the equipment, the know how, or probably the cut of meat it takes to compete.

My favorite places are Metropolitan Grill and El Gaucho, right here in Seattle.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-23-2006 at 05:43 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Other than the steaks I grill at home, Alexander's Steak Pit in Chicago. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:27 PM   #14
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
Other than the steaks I grill at home, Alexander's Steak Pit in Chicago. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...
I'm sure Chicago has most of the great steak restaurants in the country within its city limits.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-23-2006, 12:09 AM   #15
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
A few rules:

First of all, I'd be very surprised if a chain restaurant made anything as good as it could be. There are a few very good chain restaurants such as Oceanaire seafood restaurant, but they invariably do not have a great many locations, and they specialize in serving their secialty cuisine at the highest level. That is their whole purpose in life. But the best locally focused places are still a little better than even the rare strong chain restaurant. Mass producing food precludes its greatness. Thus, Ruth's Chris is out. Needless to say, Outback is not a serioius contender.

Second, the best steak must either be a New York or tenderloin (filet mignon) cut, depending on whether your steak must be as tender as possible and how much fat you tolerate. Ultimately, probably the ternderloin is the ultimate cut of beef, but I have picked many a New York depending on my mood. A porterhouse (T-Bone with the full eye) will give you the best of both worlds, but that's a lot of food, and you have to navigate the bone. The only caveat to the foregoing is that if you have a taste for fat (as I do) the Ribeye is an awfully good cut, and depending on my mood I have on occasion taken that over a ternderloin or a New York. This rule nixes those spitted "sirloin" cuts at the Brazilian places (but I do like the Brazilian places for different reasons).

Third, to qualify for among the best, the steak must be aged, preferably at least 20 days. Period. Again, this disqualifies the Brazilian places and most any chain. It also precludes any steak you buy in a market except the very highest end speacialty meat markets.

Fourth, a great steak cannot be fully enjoyed without a glass of decent Cabarnet Savignon. On a hot summer night try a Bombay Saphire martini with tiny shards of ice as an accompaniment.

Fifth, you cannot cook as good a steak on your grill as you can get at a great steak restaurant. No exceptions. You can cook a very good one at home, but a steak at a great steak reastaurant is always the pinnacle. You don't have the equipment, the know how, or probably the cut of meat it takes to compete.

My favorite places are Metropolitan Grill and El Gaucho, right here in Seattle.
What about a non-alcoholic alternative beverage?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:20 AM   #16
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
What about a non-alcoholic alternative beverage?
I would suggest a good bottled water, chilled. That would be the next best thing.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-23-2006, 04:13 AM   #17
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Quote:
I would suggest a good bottled water, chilled. That would be the next best thing.
No raspberry lemonade? What about some Welch's??

I am curious. Which of your aforementioned rules (besides 1 of being a chain) does Ruth's Chris break?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:33 AM   #18
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
No raspberry lemonade? What about some Welch's??

I am curious. Which of your aforementioned rules (besides 1 of being a chain) does Ruth's Chris break?
Probably just that it's a chain. I believe the meat is aged there.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-23-2006, 05:11 AM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Probably just that it's a chain. I believe the meat is aged there.
The meat there is aged and it is very good. I have been to a few steak houses here and there and Ruth's stacks up well. ALthouhg, IMO, not all Ruth's are created equal. The on in SF is much superior tot he one in walnut creek, for example, and the one in Vegas was in the middle somewhere.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:47 AM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
ALthouhg, IMO, not all Ruth's are created equal. The on in SF is much superior tot he one in walnut creek, for example, and the one in Vegas was in the middle somewhere.
Lack of consistency is one of the main problems with chains, especially ones with as many outlets as Ruth's. The problem becomes more acute as the food becomes more complex.

—Paul Auster