cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MLB draft most beneficial for the student athlete

I posted this on CB, but i wanted to Il Pad and Mp funk my baseball aficionados to read it.

Tyson Brummet played at Spanish Fork highschool. Right out of highschool he was drafted in the 35th round by the Giants. He has his choice to sign with San Francisco or go to a D-1 school and not be drafted again for 3 years, or go to a JC and have the opportunity be drated again in 2 years. He chooses the JC route and goes to Central Arizona JC. After his two years he is drafted again in the 31st round by the Giants. Now he has his choice to once again sign with the Giants or go to a 4 year school. He goes to UCLA, pitches for two years, is the ace of hte staff this year, and is drafted in the 7th round this year.

This gives the players a better chance to see exactly where they will be drafted and not just making educated guesses or being swayed by agents.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I posted this on CB, but i wanted to Il Pad and Mp funk my baseball aficionados to read it.

Tyson Brummet played at Spanish Fork highschool. Right out of highschool he was drafted in the 35th round by the Giants. He has his choice to sign with San Francisco or go to a D-1 school and not be drafted again for 3 years, or go to a JC and have the opportunity be drated again in 2 years. He chooses the JC route and goes to Central Arizona JC. After his two years he is drafted again in the 31st round by the Giants. Now he has his choice to once again sign with the Giants or go to a 4 year school. He goes to UCLA, pitches for two years, is the ace of hte staff this year, and is drafted in the 7th round this year.

This gives the players a better chance to see exactly where they will be drafted and not just making educated guesses or being swayed by agents.
I like that MLB will draft kids and then give them a choice as to what they want to do. I think it benefits kids to play at least a year or two of ball on the collegiate level, be it JC or a 4 year school so he can develop more, unless, of course, he's picked in the first 5 rounds or so. If that's the case, he may as well go pro right away and work through the farm system because if he's that highly picked, the team that drafted him will put more effort into developing him.

This Brummet kid did the right thing. He's now older, stronger and is more ready to get started on his career. As long as he stays healthy, he'll be fine. Plus, by choosing to go to school both times, he'll get a bigger signing bonus.

Good for him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote