cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 02:07 AM   #11
Nobody Special

Nobody Special

Well, Padrino, you and I are pretty much one in the same. It took my mother-in-law 16 years to figure out that I didn't have a problem with her and her family. But, I'd just as soon sit off and be by myself, watch and listen than be in the middle of everything.

Finally my wife told her that I'm that way with my own family and it finally clicked in her brain. Now she just leaves me alone.

I feel exactly the same about the home teachers, I'd have to be in some pretty bad shape to ask them for help about anything. Maybe, I'm just too proud and need to be humbled but I'm of the belief that, that's what family is for.

And as for the name, well I'm glad you get it. Most think I just don't have any self esteem. I once entered a softball team in a tournement under that name and the score keeper about fell out of the stands laughing when he annouced the name.

So, I tend to enjoy it when my warped humor is understood.

And the worst part of being self employed, is finding help. I can't get anybody that wants to work. So, I employ a bunch of Mexicans. They work well, I just wish that I could find the ones that were willing to work cheap. That has to be the biggest myth about them that I can think of.

Go Cougars!
Nobody Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:26 AM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

The most difficult aspect of home teaching imho is teaching active families. It just feels so ridiculous going over and teaching the same message that they are teaching that month. You can skip the message, as you know they already know it. But then you're just chatting with them which you could do anytime. And quite frankly, I've always figured that if they wanted me to just chat with them, they'd have invited me over. I've been in my current ward for 8 years and have had a home teacher come and teach me 2 times. I'm definitely not complaining. My home teacher is a friend of mine. We do things together occasionally and he "checks in" on me that way.

In the end, I just have to realize that the program is a good one. It's a great way to have each others' backs. But I'd take a long list of inactives over a short list of active families all day.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

It is Christmas time, so it is time for my HT to visit. That is the way I like it. I have never been fond of the whole, home teaching is the only way the Bishop can know about the families. If there is a problem, the word will get back to the Bishop post haste. I go, but not religously. I see my families once a qauter, they are all active and if they have a computer problem and am their first call. I theink it is important for everyone in the ward to be aware of what people can do to help out. I was licensed as an electrician and now work with computers. My nieghbor is a general contractor, my HT is a plumber. We all help each other with what we do best.
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #14
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick
Default You all would hate me then....

Sometimes I stop by twice a month.

And all my families have been invited over for a bowl game BBQ this week.

You guys just need the right person...
Old 12-17-2005, 12:11 AM   #15
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You all would hate me then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
You guys just need the right person...
I've got the right person. He never comes.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:20 AM   #16
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special
And the worst part of being self employed, is finding help. I can't get anybody that wants to work. So, I employ a bunch of Mexicans. They work well, I just wish that I could find the ones that were willing to work cheap. That has to be the biggest myth about them that I can think of.
I've been very fortunate to find phenomenal help in my office. I've posted a yellow pages ad once and got 65 resumes within about 3 days. Other than that, It's been word of mouth, which has been just as good for me. I'm sure it just depends on the industry.

As far as Utah help goes, I have a good friend from here in Northern Cal who packed up his family and his business to move to Utah Valley because the quality of the available employees there was incredible compared to here. He was hiring recent BYU grads willing to work for pennies just for the opportunity to stay and work near mom and pop in American Fork.

Il Padrino, As far as self-employment, sure some of it sucks, but the benefits far outweigh the burdens imo. If you've ever punched a timecard for the man and then gone out on your own, try going back to the "other side". I'm sure you'll appreciate what you had as your own boss.

I digress. How does this relate to religion again???
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:07 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You all would hate me then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I've got the right person. He never comes.
Amen, bro.

Let me guess - do you also never turn on the front light to discourage all the neighbors to stay away as well?

I'm the curmudgeon on my street and I love it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:14 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Il Padrino, As far as self-employment, sure some of it sucks, but the benefits far outweigh the burdens imo. If you've ever punched a timecard for the man and then gone out on your own, try going back to the "other side". I'm sure you'll appreciate what you had as your own boss.
I hear you, my friend. I do enjoy all the good things about being self-employed. The only real setback is that when I don't work, I don't get paid.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:55 AM   #19
Hazzard

Hazzard

I am in the camp of those who don't really enjoy being home taught, but I'm also in the (apparently smaller) camp of those who love home teaching.

I think home teaching is one of the very best programs of the Church because, for many members of the Church (MOST of the members where I grew up), the only contact they have with the Church is their home teachers.

In areas where the majority of members are active, however, I agree that home teaching is less effective.

I should point out as well that I am somewhat liberal in what I consider a valid home teaching visit. I think everything should be adjusted to the circumstances; for example, when I can tell someone doesn't want me around, I'll share a quick scripture, ask about his/her needs, say a prayer, and get out of dodge. In fact, I might even consider it a visiti if I do much less than that. But when I can tell someone really enjoys having me over, I'll take more time to do a "full" visit.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote