cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Maybe he's pulling that from a different article. The one posted by Coach doesn't give any indication one way or the other.

I recognize that it's a sensitive issue. I've seen threads on this before. What is unfortunate is that your (and others') sensitivity has lead you to jump to the absolute worst conclusions without all the data. You're ready to lynch a man who may or may not be guilty of what you accuse him of, simply because others have been guilty.

I know someone who has struck and killed a pedestrian (not a cyclist, acknowledged) entirely by accident. It absolutely devastated her. It's been years and years, and I'm still not entirely sure she's over it. It helped that the family didn't react to her with malice, but facing them was one of the hardest things she ever did.

You people are far too quick to condemn.
Did you read the article? Seriously, did you? You tell me how and under what circumstanbces an officer of the law driving his service vehicle WHILE ON DUTY can claim that he had a competely forgiveable and non-prosecution worthy drvining moment when he strikes three cyclists killing 2 and the collision occurs on the OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD FROM HIS LANE OF TRAVEL. Seriously, how can you say we are jumping the gun here? I can't imagine a sinlge circumstance that would make me conlcude this guy had an awkward moment that should just be looked past with a slap on the back and a "don't feel so bad old buddy, we all make mistakes." I do not know what his intent is, but it is absolutely clear to me that as reported there is no way this guy should not be prosecuted for somethign becaseu this accident just should not happen and the fact that he is a cop just makes it that much worse.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It appears that the bikes were in a bike lane. The article says that the cyclists use the road because it is "safe" and has a bike lane. So he didn't just cross into the other vehicle lane, he crossed into the opposite bike lane. So that's like crossing the middle, and going two lanes over.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A priest in my ward growing up, ran a red light (I think, but it was some kind of illegal traffic violation on his part at an intersection, he was at fault) and hit a motorcyclist (a college student I think). The guy went to the hospital. The priest visited him in the hospital, and after a couple days the guy died of his injuries.

I don't think the priest was prosecuted (at least he didn't do any jail or anything), but he was never the same, I think.

I think I would rather be killed by another driver, then kill a person through my negligence.
It is a different matter for a young man or lay driver than a professional driver and protector of the citizenry to kill cyclists.

The standard should be more stringent. Usually I feel safer with police officers while driving than I do with normal motorists. This story makes me rethink that understanding.

Tex you always seem to side on the side of authority and orthodoxy, and never take account for the minorities or marginalized.

There are laws in place, and if motorists followed them, we'd have very few cycling deaths. Prosecutions need to be fiercely pursued to stop the need slaughter of cyclists on the roads.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #24
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It appears that the bikes were in a bike lane. The article says that the cyclists use the road because it is "safe" and has a bike lane. So he didn't just cross into the other vehicle lane, he crossed into the opposite bike lane. So that's like crossing the middle, and going two lanes over.
It poses an interesting question as to what the hell he was doing. Was he reading something, was he driving too quickly and out of control, what was he doing?

That level of negligence is amazing. It almost sounds intentional.

Last edited by Archaea; 03-10-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #25
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It poses an interesting question as to what the hell he was doing. Was he reading something, was he driving to quickly and out of control, what was he doing?

That level of negligence is amazing. It almost sounds intentional.

Exactly. IAssuming he was awake, it does sond intentional. It is hard to believe that this could happen otherwise.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Exactly. IAssuming he was awake, it does sond intentional. It is hard to believe that this could happen otherwise.
The only time I can remember being that far off course was to pass or to avoid something else.

In fact, I don't believe I've ever driven onto the bike lane of the opposite direction, not ever.

It almost sounds like complete inattention or a buzzing gone bad.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #27
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The only time I can remember being that far off course was to pass or to avoid something else.

In fact, I don't believe I've ever driven onto the bike lane of the opposite direction, not ever.

It almost sounds like complete inattention or a buzzing gone bad.
Tex? Can you offer any scenario that would suggest this was a simple matter offorgiveable inattention thta could happen to anyone?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

He could have been looking down, pickign something off the floorboard, texting someone, etc. in a road that was bending to the right.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #29
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I was hit some ten years ago in AF canyon. I was coming off of a trail by tibble fork and was headed to climb back up to the top of alpine loop. An old man in an 70's impalla ran me into the side of the mountain. A second before my legs were pinned, I jumped off my bike pushed off the back of his car and landed on the pavement. I was not seriously injured but my bike was. The old man continued on his way as though nothing had happened.

Believe me when I say I take this stuff seriously. Numerous times idiots have "buzzed my tower" and yelled Faggot as I swerve in trying to maintain a position between eating it on a soft shoulder or crashing into traffic.

The only reason I titled the thread Sad Reminder of the dangers of Cycling is because regardless of how careful I am, someone that is driving a 2 ton machine can come along and end my life without notice. In no way are these cyclists at fault, even if they were out of the bike lane and this guy should be prosecuted, no matter how badly I feel for him. My life depends on prosecuting everyone of them to some degree or another. Otherwise, the life of a cyclist is inconsequential.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #30
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I was hit some ten years ago in AF canyon. I was coming off of a trail by tibble fork and was headed to climb back up to the top of alpine loop. An old man in an 70's impalla ran me into the side of the mountain. A second before my legs were pinned, I jumped off my bike pushed off the back of his car and landed on the pavement. I was not seriously injured but my bike was. The old man continued on his way as though nothing had happened.

Believe me when I say I take this stuff seriously. Numerous times idiots have "buzzed my tower" and yelled Faggot as I swerve in trying to maintain a position between eating it on a soft shoulder or crashing into traffic.

The only reason I titled the thread Sad Reminder of the dangers of Cycling is because regardless of how careful I am, someone that is driving a 2 ton machine can come along and end my life without notice. In no way are these cyclists at fault, even if they were out of the bike lane and this guy should be prosecuted, no matter how badly I feel for him. My life depends on prosecuting everyone of them to some degree or another. Otherwise, the life of a cyclist is inconsequential.
But Tex's attitude scares me. Killing cyclists is ho-hum.

BTW, I feel the same way about DUI drivers who kill others. There must be strict enforcement to deter others.