cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The last person to go under 11 hours last year was 439th of 1421. 30.9 percentile.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Let's see you all break 4 hours at Hotter N Hell.
I won't be able to attend this year, but perhaps next year. Is it Texas flat, with adequate support.

In those temperatures, one needs about forty ounces every hour and I'm not carrying that much.

With a good crew, it sounds approachable. I've done in a time trial on a tri 24 mph for 56 miles. With a peloton, one would hope I could average a mile or hour faster. However, I notice it's rather easy to hold 23 and maybe 24 on flats, but kicking it above 25 appears to be out of my range for the most part. I need more cycling miles and better training to do that.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I won't be able to attend this year, but perhaps next year. Is it Texas flat, with adequate support.

In those temperatures, one needs about forty ounces every hour and I'm not carrying that much.

With a good crew, it sounds approachable. I've done in a time trial on a tri 24 mph for 56 miles. With a peloton, one would hope I could average a mile or hour faster. However, I notice it's rather easy to hold 23 and maybe 24 on flats, but kicking it above 25 appears to be out of my range for the most part. I need more cycling miles and better training to do that.
There are 4,000 people in support on the ride.

If you want to get a really good time, you shouldn't stop. For the race they do have a water pick-up zone I think. I can tell from the collection of empty water bottles on the side of the road.

You could do 100oz camelbak, 2 water bottles on bike, and perhaps another water bottle in pocket. For some that would be plenty.

I'm a high-liquid consumer, it wouldn't be enough for me.

With 11,000 riders, you can always find a pace-line, esp. starting in the front.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There are 4,000 people in support on the ride.

If you want to get a really good time, you shouldn't stop. For the race they do have a water pick-up zone I think. I can tell from the collection of empty water bottles on the side of the road.

You could do 100oz camelbak, 2 water bottles on bike, and perhaps another water bottle in pocket. For some that would be plenty.

I'm a high-liquid consumer, it wouldn't be enough for me.

With 11,000 riders, you can always find a pace-line, esp. starting in the front.
I wouldn't plan on stopping, but in that heat, I consume a large amounts of liquids. I calculate about 45 ounces every hour, so about 180 ounces.

Do they know how to had a racer the bottles on the fly? Or does one have to get off the bike to go get it?

The problem with rides, is one must dismount, and that negatively affects the time. In a tri, the volunteers are taught how to give bottles to racers rolling through.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I wouldn't plan on stopping, but in that heat, I consume a large amounts of liquids. I calculate about 45 ounces every hour, so about 180 ounces.

Do they know how to had a racer the bottles on the fly? Or does one have to get off the bike to go get it?

The problem with rides, is one must dismount, and that negatively affects the time. In a tri, the volunteers are taught how to give bottles to racers rolling through.
I don't know, I've never done the race. If you truly want me to find out, I can go to the bother. But since you aren't coming, doesn't seem like it matters.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #26
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

http://www.lotojaclassic.com/

I was just looking at the profile for lotoja and the climbs are long but not real steep until you get to the end of the Salt River Pass. 3000 vertical over 21 miles, 1000 vertical over 9 miles and 1300 spread over 11 miles. This all comes in the first 100 so you get them over early.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

He's definitely stronger than me. Despite only riding the same pitiful amount this year.

He was 2nd in KOTM in Lotoja in his class he said. His strength is climbing.

So like a moron, I said, let's go to the hilly streets. So I am at the limit already after those short, but steep, climbs.

I averaged 181 bpm, but I'm not sure if my HRM is accurate.

When we talked, he was speaking normally, I was speaking like I had emphysema.

He says Lance doped, so I know he is a good guy.

P.S. archaea send me one of your old cassettes with a really big gear. I need a triple or I am going to die.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #28
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He's definitely stronger than me. Despite only riding the same pitiful amount this year.

He was 2nd in KOTM in Lotoja in his class he said. His strength is climbing.

So like a moron, I said, let's go to the hilly streets. So I am at the limit already after those short, but steep, climbs.

I averaged 181 bpm, but I'm not sure if my HRM is accurate.

When we talked, he was speaking normally, I was speaking like I had emphysema.

He says Lance doped, so I know he is a good guy.

P.S. archaea send me one of your old cassettes with a really big gear. I need a triple or I am going to die.
with a big gear you will just be choosing death by aerobic menas as opposed to anaerobic menas. Either way, this guy sounds like a killer (and you would both kill me).

How big are the hills you are talking about, btw? What sort of climbing do you do?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
with a big gear you will just be choosing death by aerobic menas as opposed to anaerobic menas. Either way, this guy sounds like a killer (and you would both kill me).

How big are the hills you are talking about, btw? What sort of climbing do you do?
eensy tiny embarrassingly small hills, but the one kicks up to something ridiculous like 20%, even if it's only 75 yards or whatever.

I'm a high cadence rider, not a masher. I always ride over 100rpm.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
eensy tiny embarrassingly small hills, but the one kicks up to something ridiculous like 20%, even if it's only 75 yards or whatever.

I'm a high cadence rider, not a masher. I always ride over 100rpm.
I am usually at 90-100 rpm unless th road goes up at all. On my ride home last night I took the hilly route, which has a climb of about 750-850 feet in about 2 miles. I think my RPM and speed were both in the single digits on the climb, but my HR made up for it.

20% is prety extreme.

Last edited by creekster; 07-18-2008 at 12:42 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote