cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #31
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Yes. Did you notice that it is a subjective standard? If the Cyclist percevies it is safest for him to take the lane, he can. Do you ride or commute by bike? There are times when you think it is indeed the only safe way. Was your example doing this? I don't know, but there is also no way for you to know. Your perception from inside your car or truck about what's safe is meaningl;ess. It is the rider's perception that matters.

POint is, I don't disagree that it sounds like he was being annoying, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and be annoyed. Look at it like this, it is just a karmic retribution ofr one of the many hundreds of times that I have been crowded by cars, had things thrown at me, or things shouted at me, have been driven off the orad, have been cut off under so many different circumstances that it is hard to recall them all, or have been almost hit by some idiot driver (not to mention them time I was actually hit by an idiot driver who ran through her own sign to broadside me). And that's just me. Sorry you were annoyed, but your attempt to justify your anger through the handbook (which may or may not accurately reflect the law) and place it all on the cyclist is simply misguided.
Bullshit. Subjective standard my ass. It was safe to travel on the right of the lane - regardless of whether the guy was riding a bike, a unicycle, or walking barefoot. Perception has absolutely nothing to do with it. The guy was on the right of the lane all the way until that point, and you're trying to tell me he may have thought it was unsafe to travel on the right? Let's pause for a moment while I laugh my ass off.

You're trying to make this a gray-area issue. It's not. Imagine a six-lane freeway, with only two lanes, right in the middle of the road. Nothing more than a bit of dirt on the road. Now, imagine the cyclist riding in the middle of the traffic lane, with two full lanes of available space to his right, riding right in front of a car.

I could easily have passed the cyclist on the right. I chose not to do so, because I felt it would present too much danger to the cyclist.

I have never, EVER, done any of the things of which you posted. I'm sorry those happened to you, and hope the drivers get the "karmic retribution" they richly deserve. I didn't deserve it, and will continue to be annoyed at the fact that a jackass forced me into an unsafe position simple because he either purposefully or carelessly ILLEGALLY obstructed my ability to pass him.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #32
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I don't disagree with you here. I would hope that all drivers and riders extend courtesy to each other. I also hope you will continue ot be courteous and that the clown who blew through the stop sign will figure out that it is a bad idea.
I will certainly continue to be courteous - this experience is absolutely NOT justification for NOT being courteous, even should I run across the same guy in the same situation again.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote