cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The nike+ ipod is a fun little option

I highly recommend it to those of you who like to run. I've just started running over the past month and a half and have found the nike/ipod thing to be a nice little motivator. Tracks your speed, calories burned, plays a power song for you when you need it etc... The nicest part is that everytime you hook the ipod to your computer it sends your data to your Nike webpage where it is graphed several different ways for you to peruse. It's $30 well spent if you have the nano.

BTW, if anybody on here already has it, we can exchange screen names and challenge each other. They have a cool way of tracking challenges.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

I would love to try it if someone is willing to donate an Ipod nano to the cause.

My only question is, do you have to wear Nike running shoes? or can you attach the transmitter to other shoes?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I would love to try it if someone is willing to donate an Ipod nano to the cause.

My only question is, do you have to wear Nike running shoes? or can you attach the transmitter to other shoes?
Does this mean we must run with those crappy Nike shoes? Is there any other way?

It sounds interesting, but Nike makes the worst running shoes in the business.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post

I don't have the Nike shoes. There are myriad ways to attach the sensor to any shoe. My favorite is located here:
www.switcheasy.com

There are many others. This was a 10 dollar option that works very well for me. As for donating an ipod to your cause, well, you'll have to hit up somebody richer than me. They do have refurbed 1 gigs at the apple store for $89.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...0-1&esvid=1839

Last edited by SteelBlue; 01-20-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Does this mean we must run with those crappy Nike shoes? Is there any other way?

It sounds interesting, but Nike makes the worst running shoes in the business.
You'd love it Archea. Does all your run tracking for you. Every time you want it to remember your speed at a certain point during the run you just hit the center button and it flags that portion of your run. That's in addition to already tracking your total speed, calories burned, distance run etc... It's quite accurate too. I calibrated mine last week on a college track. After one lap it had me at .26 miles, and that was after taking several steps before the voice came on. I can certainly live with that in a pedometer.

It'd be fun doing challenges with you guys. We'd have to get creative though so that an out of shape dude like me can have a shot at winning. Something like most miles run after 11pm.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 01-20-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
You'd love it Archea. Does all your run tracking for you. Every time you want it to remember your speed at a certain point during the run you just hit the center button and it flags that portion of your run. That's in addition to already tracking your total speed, calories burned, distance run etc... It's quite accurate too. I calibrated mine last week on a college track. After one lap it had me at .26 miles, and that was after taking several steps before the voice came on. I can certainly live with that in a pedometer.

It'd be fun doing challenges with you guys. We'd have to get creative though so that an out of shape dude like me can have a shot at winning. Something like most miles run after 11pm.
Cool. I bought my wife a Nano when we got married and they first came out... this type of thing might be a really good way to motivate me to improve and push myself when the going gets tough. I almost bought one last week, but decided against it. I may have to re-reconsider and go and pick it up.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

As Steel knows, my wife has the same thing and absolutely loves it. She joined a web challenge for most miles by a beginner through the month of January and it has been very motivational for her. Of course, the leader in her challenge already has 130+ miles logged for the month - hardly a beginner by any stretch of the imagination.

She opted for a sensor and arm pouch by Marware:

http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...Lj0vT8wsvCFOBg

The arm pouch seems a bit more functional than the apple version due to the fact that you can see the display while in the pouch and also that it can be used as a wrist strap. The shoe sensor is probably not quite as good as Steels, but it works well enough and came pretty cheap as a bundle package through Amazon, $24 for both:
http://www.amazon.com/MARWARE-Armban...UTF8&s=apparel
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Cool. I bought my wife a Nano when we got married and they first came out... this type of thing might be a really good way to motivate me to improve and push myself when the going gets tough. I almost bought one last week, but decided against it. I may have to re-reconsider and go and pick it up.
It's only 30 bucks man. That's nothing for the Sizzle.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #9
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Of course, the leader in her challenge already has 130+ miles logged for the month - hardly a beginner by any stretch of the imagination.

That's hilarious. Why would somebody come in and do that?

Old 01-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
BTW, if anybody on here already has it, we can exchange screen names and challenge each other. They have a cool way of tracking challenges.
Sounds like a great way for guys to meet each other.

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote