cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you had a gay brother

who had come to a belief that the church was wrong to say that having a gay relationship/marriage is evil....

....would it be more comforting for you if he rejected the church outright, or would it be more comforting if he hung on to many aspects of the church, sort of like Anthesian.

Which would make YOU feel better.

Or boiled down:

"I still believe in the gospel, but I'm through with the church."

or

"I'm through with the church, and want nothing to do with any of that in my life."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
"I'm through with the church, and want nothing to do with any of that in my life."
A loving brother should help him to reach this conclusion.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The less he resembles SU, the better.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
who had come to a belief that the church was wrong to say that having a gay relationship/marriage is evil....

....would it be more comforting for you if he rejected the church outright, or would it be more comforting if he hung on to many aspects of the church, sort of like Anthesian.

Which would make YOU feel better.

Or boiled down:

or

Definitely the former, as I have gone through phases of "I still believe in the gospel, but I'm through with the church." myself, so I am familiar with it. I don't think that is better for him though, as in my experience the conflict with what I believe and how i am living always catches up with me.

And in a case where you are gay and have no choice in your physical attractions, it is a train pulling cargo in the opposite direction of a belief system. It would make me miserable and one would have to go.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This one would make me feel better. If my brother were gay and facing what do to next respecting the church and how he would live his life without it, he would need, more than ever, the spirit to guide him and the teachings of the gospel which he still accepts to give him some peace and comfort.

I would hate to see him turn his back to the church, but far worse to turn his back to God. I would much rather have him believe that God loves him but the church misunderstands than to just give up on God. Now of course a person could turn away from the Mormon gospel and still have God in their life, but given the choices you present this is my answer.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
This one would make me feel better. If my brother were gay and facing what do to next respecting the church and how he would live his life without it, he would need, more than ever, the spirit to guide him and the teachings of the gospel which he still accepts to give him some peace and comfort.

I would hate to see him turn his back to the church, but far worse to turn his back to God. I would much rather have him believe that God loves him but the church misunderstands than to just give up on God. Now of course a person could turn away from the Mormon gospel and still have God in their life, but given the choices you present this is my answer.
What if this meant having intense guilt about his decision to have a gay relationship? Would you still feel the same way?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

here is what made me feel better:

"I am finally happy. I used to want to kill myself and went through long bouts of self-loathing, but now I am finally at peace. I am not depressed and look forward to a long life of happiness."

I dont care about which church he attends in this life. God's mercy and wisdom is infinite. God can sort out the judgment stuff.

I used to honestly wonder if my friend was alive if he didnt email me for a week or so. Now when he doesnt email me for a week or so, I simply wonder if he went on a business trip or a vacation. That makes me happy.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Definitely to be done with the Church. I know so many people who do not live the Church's standards and who have left the Church, but who are immensely happy and living good lives. They also have good relationships with loved ones who remain faithful b/c of acceptance and love from both parties.

If my brother were an out and proud gay man, I think he'd live a happier, and more productive life, if he rejected the Church and reset the standards of a worthy life based on his new reality. If he tried to stay close to the Church, all of his other goodness would be shouted down by the one salient fact of his existence -- his sinful sexuality. And that would be like missing the beauty of a flowering garden because of one dead rose.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What if this meant having intense guilt about his decision to have a gay relationship? Would you still feel the same way?
I guess I don't totally see how one can disagree with the church on this topic enough to be shut of it and still feel intense guilt over the very acts he thinks he ought to be able to do. Still, human being are complex and one could see the two things competing.

I guess my answer is that yes it would still be my answer if that guilt could lead him to a reconciliation of his life and behavior with the teachings of the church. Struggle is not always bad, in fact it can be the best thing. On the other hand, if the guilt leads to depression, suicidal thoughts and makes his life awful, and if after a period of time there is simply no resolution, I suppose I would simply want to see him happy which might involve rejecting the Mormon gospel. I would still hope that he would not reject God.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can't one still love the church and learn to manage guilt? For example, how many of you have learned to be free of guilt about your home teaching performance?