cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 09-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Road (the movie)

Just watched the trailer today on apple.

Read today's review on Variety.

Trailer--unimpressive. Review--negative.

Too bad, but all signs point to a mediocre to bad adaptation of a really great novel.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Just watched the trailer today on apple.

Read today's review on Variety.

Trailer--unimpressive. Review--negative.

Too bad, but all signs point to a mediocre to bad adaptation of a really great novel.
Maybe it's unadaptable. They've been trying to make a movie from The White Hotel for 19 years; still no success. Maybe one reason the movie is usually worse than the book is that they are such different media.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Maybe it's unadaptable. They've been trying to make a movie from The White Hotel for 19 years; still no success. Maybe one reason the movie is usually worse than the book is that they are such different media.
I was thinking about your writing a few weeks ago. I was reading "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Debut novel by a Swedish writer (who died before publication). As I read the opening pages, I thought, "yes, this is how you start a novel. You grab my interest."

Just started another novel last night. "A bend in the River." Again, caught my interest in the first few simple pages.

Versus your novel, which I had to dig down deep, Melanie Oudin-style, to keep going after the first few paragraphs.

Real art to the beginning of a novel. Or rather, the quality of a novel is often apparent in just a few pages.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was thinking about your writing a few weeks ago. I was reading "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Debut novel by a Swedish writer (who died before publication). As I read the opening pages, I thought, "yes, this is how you start a novel. You grab my interest."

Just started another novel last night. "A bend in the River." Again, caught my interest in the first few simple pages.

Versus your novel, which I had to dig down deep, Melanie Oudin-style, to keep going after the first few paragraphs.

Real art to the beginning of a novel. Or rather, the quality of a novel is often apparent in just a few pages.
Signed, Mr. "I tried to read the Crossing but Cormac was just spouting philosophy and not telling me a story so I quit."

I don't think you've read enough great novels to judge. Anyway, writing is a process. You should feel privileged that I've shared my struggle with you. Most of Cormac's life he lived in a barn with no plumbing, and sold 5,000 copies of all his novels combined before All the Pretty Horses. You're like those Ute fans who wanted to fire Whit after the Vegas game in 2007.

Let me know when you FINISH A Bend in the River. I won't hold my breath.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Signed, Mr. "I tried to read the Crossing but Cormac was just spouting philosophy and not telling me a story so I quit."

I don't think you've read enough great novels to judge. Anyway, writing is a process. You should feel privileged that I've shared my struggle with you. Most of Cormac's life he lived in a barn with no plumbing, and sold 5,000 copies of all his novels combined before All the Pretty Horses. You're like those Ute fans who wanted to fire Whit after the Vegas game in 2007.

Let me know when you FINISH A Bend in the River. I won't hold my breath.
You're like many people in this world who do not achieve their potential--they are unwilling to take advice.

Humility.

I don't have the time to read "impenetrable" novels. If the writing isn't interesting enough to bring me along, well, I got other things to do.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

So the movie is out. It got decent, not great reviews. Better reviews than I expected actually.

I don't go and see movies too often anymore. Can't decide if I should see it or not. I might regret having the book sullied with images from a crappy movie.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
ericdesouza

ericdesouza is on a distinguished road
Default RE

Once again an amazing performance from viggo is there any character this man cant play i went every step of the road with them a truly memorable film with oscar winning performances.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Eric is probably the most fascinating proxy spammer troll yet. He loves movies. And his posts are not really different than just a normal person coming to this site and posting.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #9
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone ever see the movie? The book was so wrenching that I don't have the heart to go through it a second time in a movie. Plus I heard the movie sucked.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I watched the first 15 minutes. Then I turned it off. I could tell it was going to be lame.

I could tell that they would not be able to replicate the relationship--the string--between the boy and the man. And without that, you got nothing.