cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any opinions on protein shakes?

Seems like the guys that are marginally serious about lifting all drink protein shakes after working out.

The one guy I talked to uses Muscle Milk, Protein Pro. Says he has noticed a difference since using it. Of course, this same guy was drinking a can of chicken broth in the locker room. First time I have ever seen that.

I've been casually lifting for close to a year now. "Subsistence lifting" I would call it. Not very hard, not very heavy, to try and maintain a certain level of strength in the least amount of time possible. I would like to get a bit more serious.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I bought EAS 100% whey. Cheap at Sam's.

No results yet. But I wonder if my goal of losing some weight is in conflict with protein supplementation.

I am 30lb heavier than a year and change ago. 25lb of that might be muscle.

My typical "fighting" weight has been about 180. Yet I am now about 190. I wonder how much of that 10lb increase is muscle. And how much is fat. If I could maintain strength and lose 10lb fat, I would be pretty ripped, I think.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Mr. Incredible

Mr. Incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

No results yet. But I wonder if my goal of losing some weight is in conflict with protein supplementation.

My typical "fighting" weight has been about 180. Yet I am now about 190. I wonder how much of that 10lb increase is muscle. And how much is fat. If I could maintain strength and lose 10lb fat, I would be pretty ripped, I think.
I use that, but I prefer whey protein isolate because it isn't as heavy. I lift pretty hard and a protein shake after a workout really helps with recovery.
Mr. Incredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Most weightlifters I know swear by it, under the theory that you need to get protein to the muscles within fifteen minutes of completing a workout to repair damage done to the muscle fibers. Chicken broth is an excellent solution. You're at an age when weight gain will come easily.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Most weightlifters I know swear by it, under the theory that you need to get protein to the muscles within fifteen minutes of completing a workout to repair damage done to the muscle fibers. Chicken broth is an excellent solution. You're at an age when weight gain will come easily.
I don't want to gain weight. I want to lose weight. But I do want to be ripped, a bit more.

Will the leg press help my vertical? I did about 12 reps of 500 lb today. I don't want to push it too hard, fear of hurting my knees.

Manny Pacquiao does 3,000 situps a day. I figure I can manage at least 30.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
I don't want to gain weight. I want to lose weight. But I do want to be ripped, a bit more.

Will the leg press help my vertical? I did about 12 reps of 500 lb today. I don't want to push it too hard, fear of hurting my knees.

Manny Pacquiao does 3,000 situps a day. I figure I can manage at least 30.
Becoming ripped is a process of good genes, diet, and a proper balance between weights and cardiovascular.

You seem to have good genes for that. I have no idea about your diet.

I put my sons on a program of 2500 situps, 1500 pushups and 2000 pull ups, i.e., Hershell Walker's workout.

To date, elder son only does 500 situps, 200 pushups and 100 pull ups, but it's a start. His diet needs improvement.

I'm down to about that many as well. Too little time.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Becoming ripped is a process of good genes, diet, and a proper balance between weights and cardiovascular.

You seem to have good genes for that. I have no idea about your diet.

I put my sons on a program of 2500 situps, 1500 pushups and 2000 pull ups, i.e., Hershell Walker's workout.

To date, elder son only does 500 situps, 200 pushups and 100 pull ups, but it's a start. His diet needs improvement.

I'm down to about that many as well. Too little time.
a month?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
a month?
Daily work out but you knew that.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm definitely getting stronger. And I'm gaining lean weight as well. I only drink the protein after I workout and after I play basketball. So probably on average 4 servings per week, maybe 5 some weeks. So not much.

I'm not sure if it's made a difference. I think it might be helping with recovery. Maybe it makes me more serious about the lifting and motivates me to try harder, in addition to any physiologic benefit it might be providing.

I don't want to gain weight. But I'm not minding getting stronger. So I will just see where this goes. I think I will worry if I get up to 200lb, because that will be about 17lb over my normal weight. I guess it's possible I have put on 15lb lean weight, who knows.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Since starting the shakes, I have been making more of an effort. Today I was at 215lb, 4 reps unassisted + 1 assisted. I am getting reasonably close to my goal of doing reps at 225lb. That is of course 2 45s on each end.

With a bit more time to lift, and someone to spot me, I think I could make more rapid strides. That set today was the first I have had someone to spot me.

Anyway, not a world-beating effort, but I am getting close to the strongest I have ever been on bench. And I have never been too serious about it.