cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 06-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whether to remodel or not

we live in a not so expensive house, and figure we could be moving out in less than a year.

we have really crappy outdated bathrooms. in fact, most of the house could use some updating.

wise to put any money into remodeling now? i figure we wouldn't recoup our investment, what do you think?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If it would increase the value of the home when you sell it, it could be worth it. If not, don't do it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

The other thing to consider is sellability of the home. Particularly in today's market. Even if it's a breaken or even a small loss, it might be worth doing just to prevent it taking forever to sell the house.

OTOH, your house sounds like it would make an ideal rental. So you might consider not keeping it as a rental and/or selling it to an investor as a rental. If you're interested in the latter, keep me in mind.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably would need to sell it for the downpayment on next house.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
we live in a not so expensive house, and figure we could be moving out in less than a year.

we have really crappy outdated bathrooms. in fact, most of the house could use some updating.

wise to put any money into remodeling now? i figure we wouldn't recoup our investment, what do you think?
Factor in the the fact that you are going to live there a while too. Do basic but not too expensive things. You're cheap, do the work yourself (I am the same way) as this saves a LOT of money. e.g. I needed some new flooring, bids ranged from 15-19k. I did it myself and paid 5k for the product.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of selling, the most important things that a potential buyer looks at are the bathrooms and the kitchen. I don't know your Dallas market nor have I seen your house, but updating a bathroom (not going overboard but making it updated and look nice) will have a positive result on selling your house. You can do a decent bathroom remodel in the $2-5,000 range depending on how much of the work you do yourself.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said, a lot of it depends on how much of the work that you are doing. It also depends on how much you are getting rid of. If you are keeping the tub and/or shower fixtures, then you will add a lot of the cost.

Tiling--it depends on how much you are re-tiling. If you are doing the floor and up along the walls (including in the shower area), you will be looking at $400-700. That does not include the possibility of new backerboard/cement board which will run you another $200. You also have the cost of mud and grout which will cost you another $50. If you do the work, fine, but if you hire it out, you have another $500-800 to get it done.

If you do a vanity instead of a pedalstal sink, you will run anywhere from $300-600.

You are correct, you can do it cheaper by going down a certain path (sinks, toilets, amount of tile/travertine, etc.) and save costs. If you do the work, you will save a lot of money though it will take a ton of time if you don't have experience on it.

FWIW, a $2000-5000 bathroom remodel would be considered very low nationally.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote