cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spoiler requested: Will Utah win tonight?

I may have to work late tonight, and while the DVR is cranked up, I'd like to know the outcome in advance. So tell me, will Utah win tonight? On a neutral field with good conditions, I'd bet on TCU 6-7 times out of 10, even more if Dalton is as accurate against Utah as he was against BYU. But tonight's field will, of course, be neither neutral or "good."

I see the potential for the first quarter being much like BYU at TCU, or like TCU at Oklahoma: an early buzz saw from which the visiting team can't recover. If the game is close at the half, I'd bet on TCU, despite Utah's 3rd quarter dominance and St. Louie. But my gut tells me my daughter will be sending me obnoxious text messages from the Muss beginning around 8 this evening.

Place your bets: Utah or TCU?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

TCU by 7.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah and here's why

short week
Cold (snow on the ground)
night game
Frenzied atmosphere
Altitude
Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Hazzard

Hazzard

TCU by 4. TCU's defense has too much speed for Utah -- it will make BJ pay for his predictably inconsistent play.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I think Utah wins this one.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I keep flip flopping on this one. I have no idea who's going to win tonight.

Advantages for Utah: TCU with 2 road games and being in 3 times zones in 5 days. Playing in the cold and at high altitude. Loud sold out crowd in a charged environment. With the exception of the UNLV game,,,TCU hasn't played very well on the road.

Louie Sakoda. The ultimate trump card in a close game.

Advantages for TCU: Their defense is better than Utah's in my opinion. Their offenses are about even, but at home,,offensively I might give the edge to Utah. Andy Dalton is an underated QB and has played very well the past 3 games.

And in the Bad news for Utah department...TCU might be peaking at the perfect time.

TCU's pass rush....statistics show that Utah hasn't handled the blitz very well this year. If they get to BJ early and often....it could be a long night.

TCU's TO differential is I believe +15,,,while Utah's is +1. Utah could probably negate one TO since they're at home,,,but anymore than that while not creating any of their own will spell doom. They can have some TO's against UNM and win on the road,,,but they can't do that against TCU no matter where the game is.

If there is one area of weakness on the TCU defense, they've shown (except against BYU) that they can get beat with the deep ball. Oklahoma jumped on them very early by doing this...and before you knew it the game was over. CSU also did it,,,but their WR couldn't hold onto the ball or else that game is a different outcome.

I suspect a few times in the 1st half,,,especially early on in their 1st or 2nd drive look for Utah go with an early punch to the gut by hitting David Reed, Aiona Key...or Brent Casteel deep.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
If there is one area of weakness on the TCU defense, they've shown (except against BYU) that they can get beat with the deep ball. Oklahoma jumped on them very early by doing this...and before you knew it the game was over. CSU also did it,,,but their WR couldn't hold onto the ball or else that game is a different outcome.

I suspect a few times in the 1st half,,,especially early on in their 1st or 2nd drive look for Utah go with an early punch to the gut by hitting David Reed, Aiona Key...or Brent Casteel deep.
If BJ could hit a wide open streaking receiver under pressure we would have beaten UNM by 30. It was there all night, it was the antidote to what they were doing to us defensively, and we were utterly incapable of capitalizing. He tried to make the throw, so it wasn't a recognition problem, he just couldn't get it there. I'm not sure he can make those throws.

I believe that we are going to see the running game executed better by Utah tonight and a win over TCU by less than a TD. Something along the lines of 23-20.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Utah and here's why

short week
Cold (snow on the ground)
night game
Frenzied atmosphere
Altitude
I find this weather thing funny. I think it will effect both teams and not just TCU. Utah's O played horrible in the cold in Wyoming. Yes their was wind but they only rushed for 123 yard on 44 carries. That is 2.8 ypc. The wind doesn't effect the run game and Wyoming's D is horrible. TCU's D knows how to stop the run.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I believe that we are going to see the running game executed better by Utah tonight and a win over TCU by less than a TD. Something along the lines of 23-20.
TCU is only giving up 38.9 ypg. I don't think they will be able to run all over Utah. If Utah is going to win this game BJ is going to have step up and make plays. I don't think you can count on the run game against TCU's D.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

unfortunately no
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote