cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the Church's position on artificial insemination?

I know that IVF is fine where the swimmers are donated by the husband and dad-to-be, but what about semen from another source? I know I should know the answer to this, but I don't. I'd assume it's a no, but does anyone know for certain?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I know that IVF is fine where the swimmers are donated by the husband and dad-to-be, but what about semen from another source? I know I should know the answer to this, but I don't. I'd assume it's a no, but does anyone know for certain?
See page 75 of the Church Handbook.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
PaloAltoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
See page 75 of the Church Handbook.
I do not have a copy.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Check Book 1. It is in there.

Not prohibited, not necessarily encouraged.

One thing that IS expressly prohibited....singing and dancing in a Church musical production while dressed as the Savior. Also, candles or other open flames inside the chapel, parking/storing your car/rv in the chapel parking lot, participating in state lotteries, and overnight sleepovers in the chapel.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
PaloAltoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
One thing that IS expressly prohibited....singing and dancing in a Church musical production while dressed as the Savior.

Crap. Now I'm looking at a rewrite of our ward's road show.

Thanks for the answers, though.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Not sure. But your question brought to mind a story I heard about about a lurpy, overweight, LDS doctor in Virginia who ran a fertility clinic. When several women in his affluent stake -- most of whom were fit and attractive and had carefully chosen Adonis-like sperm donors -- started popping out fat, ugly, awkward children who looked a lot like a certain lurpy, overweight, LDS doctor ...

Last I heard, the guy was in jail. But maybe someone from that area of the country can confirm.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

We did Savior of the world in our stake this past summer....it was an excellent production.

But I kept thinking of that rule throughout the show. It is humorous, in a bizarre way, to imagine how/why someone would create a singing/dancing role for the Savior in any Church production. It is weird that we even have to include that as a rule in Book 1 and 2.

I trace this rule back to the 80s hip hop movement and a fledgling young LDS composer named Kurt Bestor pens his first opus, "Boyz in Da Stake Center."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Not sure. But your question brought to mind a story I heard about about a lurpy, overweight, LDS doctor in Virginia who ran a fertility clinic. When several women in his affluent stake -- most of whom were fit and attractive and had carefully chosen Adonis-like sperm donors -- started popping out fat, ugly, awkward children who looked a lot like a certain lurpy, overweight, LDS doctor ...

Last I heard, the guy was in jail. But maybe someone from that area of the country can confirm.

You are correct. Happened 5 years ago? He did go to jail for a very long time.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
exUte

Quote:

Here's an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f86qKQJg3Z8
Old 11-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
exUte

Default Here ya go.

Quote:
Artificial Insemination

Artificial insemination with semen from anyone but the husband is strongly discouraged. However, this is a personal matter that ultimately must be left to the judgment of the husband and wife. Responsibility for the decision rests solely upon them.

Artificial insemination of single sisters is not approved. Single sisters who deliberately refuse to follow the counsel of their Church leaders in this matter are subject to Church discipline.