cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default BCS is better than the old regime, that's for sure

In 2004 the Utes would never have played in a major bowl under the old system. That's for sure. The old system was more exclusionary than the current one, and asked for a debacle like BYU playing 6-5 Michigan for the nc in the Holiday Bowl (the old upstart Holiday Bowl).

I'm actually not that much against the BCS until something more practical is executed. It's not the worst of all worlds.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

BYu didnt play Michigan for the national championship. Michigan wasn't in contention for the national championship. BYu was voted champ by the AP because it won its final game.

No different from previous national champions.......how often, if ever did the AP 1 and 2 play each other in bowl games for the national championship?

If you were the #1 team going into your bowl game and you won, you were going to win the national championship. What exactly was the debacle?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
BYu didnt play Michigan for the national championship. Michigan wasn't in contention for the national championship. BYu was voted champ by the AP because it won its final game.

No different from previous national champions.......how often, if ever did the AP 1 and 2 play each other in bowl games for the national championship?

If you were the #1 team going into your bowl game and you won, you were going to win the national championship. What exactly was the debacle?
I was fine with that.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
In 2004 the Utes would never have played in a major bowl under the old system. That's for sure. The old system was more exclusionary than the current one, and asked for a debacle like BYU playing 6-5 Michigan for the nc in the Holiday Bowl (the old upstart Holiday Bowl).

I'm actually not that much against the BCS until something more practical is executed. It's not the worst of all worlds.
I completely agree. Just because true playoff formats work in every other sport on every level from amateur to professional, doesn't mean it would work in college football. There are the elitist programs who are so much better and it would be a waste of time to make them prove it.

In fact I'm kind of pissed that the MLB allowed Tampa to have their playoff run. The regular season is cute and all, but regardless of what happens, every postseason should be Boston vs. New York, and Atlanta vs. Los Angeles. Every time. They get the ratings, they have the fans, they have the tradition, and the wannabe weasels out there should just learn their place and shut up.

Tampa. What a joke. Just like Colorado last year. Just like Florida before them both. Freaks.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I completely agree. Just because true playoff formats work in every other sport on every level from amateur to professional, doesn't mean it would work in college football. There are the elitist programs who are so much better and it would be a waste of time to make them prove it.

In fact I'm kind of pissed that the MLB allowed Tampa to have their playoff run. The regular season is cute and all, but regardless of what happens, every postseason should be Boston vs. New York, and Atlanta vs. Los Angeles. Every time. They get the ratings, they have the fans, they have the tradition, and the wannabe weasels out there should just learn their place and shut up.

Tampa. What a joke. Just like Colorado last year. Just like Florida before them both. Freaks.
And yet ultimately, Tampa choked and lost.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And yet ultimately, Tampa choked and lost.
To Philadelphia which is another team that didn't deserve to be there because of history.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

With how the bowls used to be, no team was eliminated at a chance for that fake championship before the season even started.

I loathe the BCS because it denies almost half the participants from ever getting a shot based only on conference affiliation.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

You've stated one of the better reasons for the BCS, different from the one I raised. The BCS has flexiblility to pair up teams such as the two best teams as determined by computers to play one another in the final game, a sort of faux national championship game. Would the BCS computer have ranked byu over #5 in 1984? I doubt it. Even had it been ranked no. 1, it would have had to prove itself worthy of the designation by beating a very good team that had survived the valley of the shadow of death.

BYU sucks.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
With how the bowls used to be, no team was eliminated at a chance for that fake championship before the season even started.

I loathe the BCS because it denies almost half the participants from ever getting a shot based only on conference affiliation.
EPU, way too much of your own delicious, italian Kool-Aid, brother.

It was still extremely rare for any of the then "non-BCS" schools to move up in the polls to #1 or #2....which is where they needed to be to win a NC.

And the pre-season polls were the same biased junk....all the usual schools picked to win it all before the season began.

The old bowl system was not a utopia wherein all teams had a fair shot.

The only bowls that mattered were the ones that hosted the #1 and #2 teams (generally) because one of those 2 bowls was going to produce the winner, period.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
BYU sucks.
Isn't that against the honor code?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote