cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 04:15 AM   #21
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

The only teams that BYU could manage a game against this year would be the ACC or Big East Champion. Unless we can guarantee that match up, I would just rather BYU not be involved. I don't know what happened but since that USU game, this team has not played well.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #22
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Georgia could very well score 100 on us. Stafford is a first round NFL type of a guy. The QBs we have faced won't sniff an NFL roster and they have moved the ball at will. Wait. Maybe I misunderstood. You said "a Georgia or even a Alabama." If you meant Georgia Southern or Alabama State, I agree with you whole-heartedly.
Georgia's offense hasn't exactly been a powerhouse this year. They have had some really good games, and some really average games (including against average teams).

Lowest point totals:
Florida: 10
South Carolina: 14
Vandy: 24
Tennessee: 26
ASU: 27
Alabama: 30

Highest point totals:
Central Michigan: 56
LSU: 52
Georgia Southern: 45

2 of the 3 games where they threw up a ton of points were against awful teams. They played great against LSU. Other than that, nothing really great out of their offense. About average.

As for Alabama, they are the most overrated team in college football right now. I would love for BYU to get a crack at them. Florida will smoke Alabama, if Bama gets into the SEC title game.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
The only teams that BYU could manage a game against this year would be the ACC or Big East Champion. Unless we can guarantee that match up, I would just rather BYU not be involved. I don't know what happened but since that USU game, this team has not played well.
I disagree. I think Utah, BYU and TCU would all play extremely well against an SEC school this year. The Big 12 would crush us, but the SEC is very bad on offense (Florida excepted- they look very good right now).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
junkie, walk me through the MWC tie breaker rules. I am too lazy to look them up.
There are no conference tiebreaker rules. No need. The bowls take whoever they want. The only tiebreaker the BCS uses is their rankings. You have to be a conference champ to get an autobid. If there is a tie, the tiebreaker goes to the highest ranked team on the BCS rankings.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #25
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The most likely scenario for BYU in the BCS (in fact, probably the only realistic scenario) would be for Utah to beat TCU, BYU to beat Utah, and BSU to lose to anyone (they have Nevada and FSU left).

Not terrible odds, but not nearly as good as a team who controls their own destiny, like Utah and TCU (BSU needs help, as Utah or TCU would get in ahead of them if either of those teams win out).

The MWC tiebreaker works as follows:

1. Compare head to head results (wouldn't work if Utah beats TCU, BYU beats Utah, and TCU beat BYU).

2. Compare records against other league teams, from top to bottom (wouldn't work- their only losses would be to each other).

3. Compare results against other tied teams (I think this is a MOV issue, but it isn't really clear)

4. Coin flip (which would be absolutely nuts- how would it even work with a 3 team scenario?).

BYU could get into the BCS as the 2nd non-BCS team this year too. The Big 10, Big 12 and SEC will all likely get 2 teams in each (that is the maximum a conference can have). Unless Oregon State wins out (in which case, they are the Pac 10 champ, but not eligible for a BCS game because they aren't in the top 16), USC will go, and will likely go anyways as an at large (so I think the best the Pac 10 can get is 1). The ACC may not have a qualifying team, same with the Big East. If that is the case, 2 non-BCS teams could get in.

This could turn into a crazy year for college football.
There are no MWC tiebreaking rules for football. They use them in basketball to seed teams for the tournament.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If OSU wins out and is Rose Bowl bound it will be ranked.
yes but not 16th or higher