cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default The Virgin Birth

I think the virgin birth is one of the most fascinating issues in Christianity. Academics have argued that the virgin birth was the Christians' way of explaining the fact that Jesus was born out of wedlock. I lean toward this explanation. I think the Son of God thing is figurative. Please don't lecture me about how he needed an immortal father to be able to overcome death, etc. I've heard the Sunday School arguments, and I think they're fine, although less likely. I'm just not convinced that the virgin birth is important.

There was a couple in my high school that supposedly got pregnant this way (no intercourse and clothed), so maybe virgin births are more common than we think.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

But you haven't explained why you think the Virgin Birth isn't important. You've rejected the sunday school answers for why it is important, and I'll heed your plea and not trot them out here, and so the burden is on you to explain why you don't think it's important.

And I guess the answer has to fall into two categories:

(1) You still believe Jesus atoned for your sins and rose the third day. Or

(2) He was not the Lamb, but merely a master of this world.

In the case of (2), I agree with you. Of course the Virgin Birth doesn't matter. But how does it not matter for (1)?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
But you haven't explained why you think the Virgin Birth isn't important. You've rejected the sunday school answers for why it is important, and I'll heed your plea and not trot them out here, and so the burden is on you to explain why you don't think it's important.

And I guess the answer has to fall into two categories:

(1) You still believe Jesus atoned for your sins and rose the third day. Or

(2) He was not the Lamb, but merely a master of this world.

In the case of (2), I agree with you. Of course the Virgin Birth doesn't matter. But how does it not matter for (1)?
I'm basically leaning toward best explanations across the board. The best explanation for the resurrection was an Elvis phenomenon (followers spreading rumors that they saw him and he's still alive). The fact that the grave was empty is best explained by someone taking his body and burying it elsewhere for security or other reasons.

The same principle appies with the virgin birth. I think it's way more likely that he was born out of wedlock, and the virgin birth was used to legitimize his birth and strengthen the link to God.

I don't really care either way. I'm fine entertaining the possibility of supernatural explanations for these events. It's possible that he was the product of a virgin birth, and it's also possible that he was resurrected. I just don't think the supernatural is even close to being the best explanation, and I wonder why a virgin birth is even important in our theology.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote