cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 05-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone else notice how BYU is conspicuously absent from Big 12 FOI articles?

You have all these other schools reaching out to Gordon Gee and others. But nothing from BYU.

Maybe BYU realizes it is too important to deign to grovel to the Big 12. After all, BYU is the school that produces "Studio C" on its OWN CHANNEL. That is available in standard definition all over the country.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You have all these other schools reaching out to Gordon Gee and others. But nothing from BYU.

Maybe BYU realizes it is too important to deign to grovel to the Big 12. After all, BYU is the school that produces "Studio C" on its OWN CHANNEL. That is available in standard definition all over the country.
FOI doesn't apply to a private school. Those public schools would keep most of their communications private if they could so as to not tip off the others about what they're doing.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-11-2016 at 05:53 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The FOI is to Gordon Gee. I don't think BYU is excluded from an FOI of Gordon Gee.

If BYU is making contact about the Big 12 to a public university, that can be part of the FOI.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
BlueK

One thing we can definitely agree with is that BYU much prefers to operate in secrecy. One day out of the blue they're not only an independent, but they have a signed long term deal with ESPN that went completely under the radar until the press conference. I'm pretty sure if they communicate with Gee it won't be in ways that leaves them vulnerable to an FOI request.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-11-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

"Vulnerable."

Maybe Mormons will finally learn that secrecy is not the winning hand. In fact, it's a losing hand.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Think about the blowback when the announcement comes out that BYU is not included in expansion. And it is revealed that BYU was always thought to be a longshot to be included in expansion by the Big 12. And that the Big 12 was never formally contacted by BYU.

It's going to be a bloodbath. And people are going to be on Holmoe for his job.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Think about the blowback when the announcement comes out that BYU is not included in expansion. And it is revealed that BYU was always thought to be a longshot to be included in expansion by the Big 12. And that the Big 12 was never formally contacted by BYU.

It's going to be a bloodbath. And people are going to be on Holmoe for his job.
He's a bad AD if he hasn't talked with people at the Big 12. Don't you think that's extremely unlikely? I don't think he's a bad AD. I can't speak to why BYU wants everything to be so secret. I don't agree with that either. But that culture wasn't so unusual in very old school business that many of our GA's worked in before they were GA's several decades ago. It's what they know. It will probably change eventually. I hope for sooner rather than later.

Still, I highly doubt Holmoe isn't doing whatever he can to get us to the P5. He's actually said in public he is. So he's telling the truth about that or lying. He doesn't come across to me as a liar. Maybe he is, but I think that's extremely cynical and I can't go that far. Unfortunately the B12 itself isn't acting in a way that should make you think they have reached any consensus on anything. They seem like a pretty dysfunctional bunch.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-11-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Maybe Holmoe has no freedom to really do anything.

Maybe the BYU president is only a puppet and think he has to be told to do everything for the Board.

Maybe nothing proactive is done because our corporate structure never allows anyone to make any kind of bold moves.

Maybe Big 12 wants quick answers, and BYU has to go through 5 levels of telephone to get anything done.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Hammer to the head from Nashty

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=15867579
Old 05-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
BlueK

Here's a Memphis newspaper article from May 19th. Dennis Dodd of CBS who hasn't exactly been a proponent of BYU throughout this (note the slam about the "failed" independent run. He already has an ax to grind because BYU took several million more from ESPN and left his employer CBS behind to go independent) is quoted below that BYU has been "very agressive." I don't think there is any solid evidence out there that supports the cynical idea that BYU's leadership doesn't really care about joining the Big 12. It may not happen, but the thought that it won't because the administration or the BoT are against it or indifferent, I think comes mostly from people trying to stir the pot.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/spor...380136761.html

"The (administrators) at BYU tell me they've been doing the exact same thing (as Cincinnati), (but) just not crowing about it," Dodd said. "You can't (request) public records at BYU (a private university).

"But BYU has been very aggressive. They have been desperate to get into a conference since this failed independent run."

Last edited by BlueK; 05-23-2016 at 06:38 PM.