cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Is there a worse home improvement project

than painting?

$500 and 2 days later, I finished painting my house exterior this weekend. I sprayed the eaves and siding last weekend and finished gutters and trim this weekend.

I hope to never paint again. But it sure beats paying someone $4-5K to do it for you.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I helped my dad paint the exterior of the house we were living in one summer. The smell of house paint still brings back memories of being up on the ladder against a white house in the middle of July. It was hot and miserable.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Dealing with insulation is the WORST. It is no wonder those guys all go home and drink themselves silly every night. But since I have never actually fully insulated a house I guess I can't vote for that.

I do hate painting, but roofing tops my list of things I hate to do as home improvement. I have a section of the house scheduled for reroofing for this summer and it will be hot and filthy. My fingers get burned from the shingles and it just plain sucks.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

The temperature was fairly mild these past two weekend, only topping out about 88 degrees, so it wasn't too bad. But getting up on the roof to paint the facing over the garage was brutal. My feet were cooking just standing in one place for more than a couple of minutes. Even coming near the attic vents was rough.

I can't imagine being either a roofing or an insulation guy. I don't think that I would ever take on either of those projects, so I won't include them in my rankings. Painting still sucks.

My home teacher, who is a land developer and general contractor, volunteered to help me do the gutters on Saturday. I know very well how much he hates painting. I gave him a free home teaching pass for a full 12 months for those 3 hours of service.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You painted the exterior?

Friend, it's very worth it to pay for siding.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote