cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 10-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The video on singles not getting married is very short. It consists almost entirely of Gerrit Gong speaking. One notable aspect of it is how he spends most of his time attacking media bias. It almost feels like he thinks that this world view of mainstream media bias is what best resonates with his audience. He could have picked a million different angles to approach the subject. He chose bias.

Another aspect about these videos is that you see how these discussions influenced future decisions. For example, it's likely that the decision to reduce ages for missions was influenced by the desire to 1) retain young male members, by getting rid of the "lost year" between high school graduation and 19, and 2) solve the conundrum that young women felt that they had to choose either a mission or marriage, or that a mission might delay marriage. And I don't think these are just recently revealed explanations, they may have been presented as such at the time the policies were introduced.

Also it seems that the organization of young single wards was likely changed related to activity of young adults and marriage. I'm less familiar with how that works.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Elder Gong is in my ward. I've sat next to him a couple of times in our High Priest Group. He is a very approachable and down to earth man. I've not noticed anyone ask him about the leak, but why would they? Our Group Leader, Rick Turley, would be the one to approach.

My question is what was the motive in releasing these videos? They merely show what the brethren have said all along: that they are very involved in understanding world affairs and seeking direction from The Lord. I actually find it comforting that there was not anything on the contrary.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:16 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Can't imagine how boring it would be to sit through meeting after meeting day after day. Or maybe not. Maybe it would feel empowering. Who knows.

I can say that it is my personality to not always agree with everyone else.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:56 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Can't imagine how boring it would be to sit through meeting after meeting day after day. Or maybe not. Maybe it would feel empowering. Who knows.

I can say that it is my personality to not always agree with everyone else.
Mormons have meetings to plan meetings. Enough already.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:24 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Elder Gong is in my ward. I've sat next to him a couple of times in our High Priest Group. He is a very approachable and down to earth man. I've not noticed anyone ask him about the leak, but why would they? Our Group Leader, Rick Turley, would be the one to approach.

My question is what was the motive in releasing these videos? They merely show what the brethren have said all along: that they are very involved in understanding world affairs and seeking direction from The Lord. I actually find it comforting that there was not anything on the contrary.
Serious question that I'm curious about. Has Elder Gong ever heard of the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? I assume he has. But I suppose there are some people in the country who are such nerds that they don't know anything about sports teams.

I wonder how he feels about sports names like the Red Raiders. Or the Raiders. Or the Vikings.

I wonder if I could ever get to the point where the Pittsburgh Pirates bother me. Does it bother him?