cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alma and Christ

Please help me understand what appears to be a discrepancy.

Alma tells his son Helaman (37:36-37):

Quote:
...yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
Meanwhile, God says otherwise (D&C 58:26-28):
Quote:
...for behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

Verily I say, men should be aanxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves.
In other words, Alma's instruction is to place all of your decisions, wants and needs at the feet of God, while God says leave me alone and think for yourself.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:31 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Scripture is written as you know with multiple interpretations for the same phrases if used in different contexts.

I'd suggest without further meaningful study, thus shooting from the hip, that the first means, you should have an eye on the glory of God in all your doings, but you should not be commanded what to do in all things. Simplistic I know but it's the end of the day.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Please help me understand what appears to be a discrepancy.

Alma tells his son Helaman (37:36-37):

Meanwhile, God says otherwise (D&C 58:26-28):

In other words, Alma's instruction is to place all of your decisions, wants and needs at the feet of God, while God says leave me alone and think for yourself.
I read #1 as meaning to recognize the hand of God in all things and always lean unto him for SUPPORT. #2 is saying that you SHOULDN'T have to be COMMANDED what you should do at all times and in all things.

I don't view these as contradictory because they aren't even talking about the same thing.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I read #1 as meaning to recognize the hand of God in all things and always lean unto him for SUPPORT. #2 is saying that you SHOULDN'T have to be COMMANDED what you should do at all times and in all things.

I don't view these as contradictory because they aren't even talking about the same thing.
I had the exact same thoughts. They don't seem contradictory in the least to me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I had the exact same thoughts. They don't seem contradictory in the least to me.
I would go further and suggest that they are actually mutually reinforcing. WHen we throw off the natural man we submit to the will of God. This doen't mean we become unthinking automotons or that we enter the workhouse of the Lord, but that we voluntarily submit to his approach to life. Alma is urging his son to be submissive in this way, to throw himself at God's feet, as you put it, and make himself available to Him as his servant in humility and in acknopwledgement of God as God. The D&C passage can be used to support a number of ideas, among which is that we should not act out of compulsion, but out of will. So we are told we shouldn't have to be ordered, we should instead be eager and willing to do God's bidding. Acting as God would have us act does not mean that we must wait until we are ordered to do something; assuming the attirbutes of charity and love we can act accordingly without specific direction or compulsion, which is what He would have us do. I see them as going together well.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:34 AM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.

I have been going through an intense, emotionally-draining, four-year ordeal that may reach its pinnacle this weekend and finally go away. Thanks for putting up with all of my silly religous questions. I've seriously had to reassess the most basic things.

If all goes well, I will explain more next week.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Thanks everyone.

I have been going through an intense, emotionally-draining, four-year ordeal that may reach its pinnacle this weekend and finally go away. Thanks for putting up with all of my silly religous questions. I've seriously had to reassess the most basic things.

If all goes well, I will explain more next week.
Good luck!
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote