cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on last night's game

The refs really let the game get physical. I would agree with many that the game was poorly called but I wouldn't agree that the calls changed the outcome. The game was poorly called all game. That said:

TP -- He is really rushing his shots. The patience he displayed during the UNC game in the post is completely gone. He his going to the same spot at the same pace and trying to score too quickly. The coaches have the guards throwing the entry pass to one side of the paint. It is like Plaisted has regressed to his freshman year. I spoke to an NBA scout about Plaisted during the game. He thought TP had a future in the league but seemed to agree with my critiques. On positive notes, TP is rebounding well, playing good help defense and playing decent man defense. I like his overall game better than his game last year or even at the beginning of this year. He'll get his offensive confidence back at some point and will be better for having learned to do the other things.

JT -- Still struggling with shot selection and accuracy. He got pulled at one point for a greedy play where he could have gotten an assist but instead missed a fade away turn around J. He showed the ability to score in other ways and really put in the effort rebounding and playing D. I think he and Plaisted are in the same boat. They are struggling offensively but will be better players at the end. The offense will come back and, in the meantime, they are learning to contribute in other ways.

Lee Cummard -- Still doing all the little things for us. The NBA scout I talked to about Plaisted seemed higher on Cummard. Face really lit up when Cummard was mentioned. The 3rd foul on Cummard was a stupid one on his part, the 4th was a terrible call from where I was sitting. They owed him the no-call down the stretch.

Burgess -- He is playing better in the last two games than in the past. You don't realize how physically strong he is until someone tries to post him up. He did a nice job trying to guard bigger guys all night.

Murdock -- The belief that Murdock can't guard was dispelled last night. He was also more intense on offense last night. I hope he keeps up that intensity.

Collinsworth -- Great defensive and rebounding effort. Still needs to put in more effort on offense. Needs to move with purpose more.

Fredette -- Coming into his own offensively. I really like his offensive game. Defensively he is still looking for the steal too much. I think he is deserving of more minutes.

Miles -- Looking better every game. He is a much more physical post player than Trent and provides a nice changeup. I love how he uses his upper body to create space.

Lloyd -- I am so excited about this kid. His ball handling is noticeably better than it was at the start of the year. His length makes him a scary good defender on the ball (second only to Cummard, imho). He could become a guy who can create shots for others and for himself. Still plays a little too loose on offense. Bottom line, nice 9th man.

Bottom line: I love our last two wins. Close wins, in conference, while shooting poorly, provide optimism for the NCAAs. These types of games prepare this team to win games like Xavier last year. I never thought a Rose team would win on defense and rebounding but they are and I love it. When the shots start falling again, they will be frightening...maybe even good enough to win on the road against UNLV. :mrgreen: Coaching in game is improving as well. The change up to zone and then back was timely and effective. Offensive plays being called are the right plays and we are getting the right shots. I'm a little worried about our sense of urgency on offense. Cuts, picks, and passing are not crisp and focused. Each part of a play should be aimed at scoring and we don't run our offense that way right now. SDSU made a major effort to stop Cummard. It worked to some degree but allowed Plaisted a little more room to roam and consequently a few more points. I think this team is still looking like they can win the conference crown. If they can get their shots to start falling again...they could really become a dangerous team.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote