cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I think I explained my answer as the thread developed. I place more value in the message than the messenger.
I guess I'm a people person, as I place more value in the person than a message they may have dreamt up. I value the speaker as a person if I know them.

That's why we as adults can enjoy youth and children speaking. We know their message is handpicked by parents or leaders, but still that child is there, struggling to do something difficult. So I watch my friend or neighbor. The message isn't really important, as I can do a better job than 95 percent of the speakers.

So yes, you jabbed at SIEQ.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How would I know what his breath is like? If you really think that was an attempt to insult SEIQ, then your tin foil hat is about 3 sizes too small.
You think his breath is bad from sleeping all the time in church, eating reuben sandwiches and potato chips.

In case it isn't obvious, I posted your comment about his breath as a joke.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think Indy is on an Internet mission. He's been called, ordained, etc. to bring the pure doctrine to Internet geeks. That's his job right now.
What is your Internet mission? Can you reveal that, or did the Dark Lord of the Netherworld make you swear a blood oath to secrecy?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
You think his breath is bad from sleeping all the time in church, eating reuben sandwiches and potato chips.

In case it isn't obvious, I posted your comment about his breath as a joke.
When Archaea feels he can pinpoint my generalized comments with such specificity, I have a hard time telling what else people read into my comments.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I guess I'm a people person, as I place more value in the person than a message they may have dreamt up. I value the speaker as a person if I know them.

That's why we as adults can enjoy youth and children speaking. We know their message is handpicked by parents or leaders, but still that child is there, struggling to do something difficult. So I watch my friend or neighbor. The message isn't really important, as I can do a better job than 95 percent of the speakers.

So yes, you jabbed at SIEQ.
I have never heard SEIQ speak in Sacrament Meeting, so I have no idea how he presents his assigned topic. However, I have heard others that would likely be classified as alternative voices, who in their earnestness to display their knowledge and/or take a "vanilla" topic off in a controversial direction, gave a talk that was not spiritually edifying.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2639883

In response to a simple unrelated question, Indy gets his jabs in against SIEQ.
Peanut gallery.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Peanut gallery.
I should clarify. Last week Indy called me out on CB as a "charter member of the peanut gallery". The irony still makes me smile.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

As long as Lebowski is basking in the glow of irony, add to the fact you guys can't take what you shovel.

That's the greatest irony of the "intellectuals" on Cougarguard.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #19
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
As long as Lebowski is basking in the glow of irony, add to the fact you guys can't take what you shovel.

That's the greatest irony of the "intellectuals" on Cougarguard.
Welcome to the "intellectual" club, Lebowski. My guess is that if you knew that all you had to do to gain entrance was say something Rocky disgarees with you would have joined sooner.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Arch's question was more interesting than the psychoanalysis of Indy. Here's my ranking in order of best to worst.

Bishopric--usually a good talk. doctrinally sound and inspiring and personal.
new members--usually good to hear from new people. I'll take it as new move ins not new converts, which are rare in my area
Stake President--current one is dry, impersonal, and heavy handed. Past one was very good.
departing missionaries--I usually have a personal connection with the, and it's great to hear their testimony
returning missionaries--the good ones are great, but many of them are cocky
youth--always good to hear from the youth unless they are reading their talk and they pass the 3 minute mark
Cut and paste from Ensign speaker--usually not bad if they add their personal views and testimony
Ward wannabe scholar--usually has comedic value
Ward scholar--usually boring and trying to convince others how smart they are--bad combo
High Council--heavy handed and boring--worst combo
unranked: golden oldies: wards i've lived in have always grown so fast or changed so fast there are never golden oldies

P.S. Arch: I disagree with your evaluation of intellect and level of deep thinking nearly all the time. You are impressed by window dressing, cheap references to literature and philosophy, and vocabulary. You don't give enough credit to actual content of an idea.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote