cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YW Basketball

I had the opposing ward coach come across the floor during a timeout in the fourth quarter of today's game and tell me "not to cheer against her girls." Our girls were making a comeback and we (me, my kids, and some other ward members) were chanting "Defense! clap clap" when the other ward had the ball. We were having a great time up until then (the level of play is so poor, that one must make one's own entertainment). When play restarted, we went back to chanting.

Our girls won (yours truely's daughter made the winning basket) and she came back after the game to tell me again we shouldn't have cheered against her girls. She torked me by saying, "This isn't the boys." I guess her ward's YW are of a more delicate disposition, as well as being sore losers.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I had the opposing ward coach come across the floor during a timeout in the fourth quarter of today's game and tell me "not to cheer against her girls." Our girls were making a comeback and we (me, my kids, and some other ward members) were chanting "Defense! clap clap" when the other ward had the ball. We were having a great time up until then (the level of play is so poor, that one must make one's own entertainment). When play restarted, we went back to chanting.

Our girls won (yours truely's daughter made the winning basket) and she came back after the game to tell me again we shouldn't have cheered against her girls. She torked me by saying, "This isn't the boys." I guess her ward's YW are of a more delicate disposition, as well as being sore losers.
LOL. Sore losers. What a poor example for the girls.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

So, who were you up against?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
So, who were you up against?
Your old ward, Germantown. I'm sure I am now their archnemisis. I'm sure you know the coach and her daughter.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you took the opportunity to send that fastball out of the park:

"Dang, and I thought the French were wusses."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Your old ward, Germantown. I'm sure I am now their archnemisis. I'm sure you know the coach and her daughter.
I used to be the coach and I would have let you yell defense all you liked. And you'd be yelling it a lot since my team would have never let your team even touch the ball.

I don't know who the coaches are now. I'm curious. I'll have to use my sources to find out what kind of crybabies they have running my old team.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I used to be the coach and I would have let you yell defense all you liked. And you'd be yelling it a lot since my team would have never let your team even touch the ball.

I don't know who the coaches are now. I'm curious. I'll have to use my sources to find out what kind of crybabies they have running my old team.
We had 15 YW on our team yesterday, 11 of whom hadn't ever played basketball. Our coaches platooned the first three quarters (1 good player with 4 horrible ones), then put in the best players for the fourth. We had girls that could barely dribble the ball bringing it up only to be suddenly pounced upon by the aggressive Germantown defense (I'm sure a holdover from your Majerus-style instruction). The score going into the fourth quarter was Germantown 7, Collierville 2.

Then we put our better players in all at one time in the fourth and we took charge. As our team started coming back we started cheering our "defense" chant. We were having a great time. After we took the lead and again stole the ball, the G-Town coach's daughter grabbed our girl as she broke away. I made an exagerated intentional foul display, crossing my arms. It was all very much in good fun. That's when she called time out to tell us not to cheer against her YW. We ended up winning 14-7.

When she came back after the game I honestly thought she was coming to try to clear the air and allow us to part friends. That she went at me again was a shocker.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

That is awesome, 14-7. Majerus would have had a tear in his eye. It sounds to me though that Germantown was trying to run up the score, I mean come on, they were averaging just over 2 points a quarter up until the 4th quarter. Nice to see your defense clamped down on them stopping them from getting their typical 2.3 points in the fourth quarter. Well done.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote