cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 AM   #11
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Creekster and Il Pad, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, my student does not know either of the songs Il Pad's mom suggested (I admit-- neither do I). Creekster, that's a good suggestion to try and hear where the interval wants to resolve.

Archaea, I have no idea what Maman les petits bateaux sounds like. Care to translate?
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Creekster and Il Pad, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, my student does not know either of the songs Il Pad's mom suggested (I admit-- neither do I). Creekster, that's a good suggestion to try and hear where the interval wants to resolve.

Archaea, I have no idea what Maman les petits bateaux sounds like. Care to translate?
Here's the music, but I just kinda think in French, and I'm tired, so Creek may do it better than I.

http://perso.orange.fr/olivier.druar...itsBateaux.htm
Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Would "Maman les petits bateaux" be an ascending minor Seventh interval?
Did someone venture to Wikipedia today?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post

IMO, anything Irvin Berlin wrote was a great song and you'd have to like musicals to like stuff from Brigadoon. I do.

Wish I could have been more help. After I cheated and did some looking to understand what minor 7th was, I tried to think of songs that would have been close, but drew a blank. I asked my Mom but I forget, sometimes, that Mom is 70 years old and her music is from her day, not mine, let alone youngsters like you, Farrah.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No why?

Why don't you translate this little chanson for us mate. It's "cute" as my professeur would say.
Where do you get this stuff? And how did you know that the seventh interval was in htere?

As you know, the song (I really only read the refrain) is something about the little boats going on the water, and the kid asks if they have legs and mom says yes, my fat bug or beast (it sounds better in French, I promise) becasue otherwsie how could they walk? I quit reading at that point.

Really, how did you come up with this one for the seventh interval?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 AM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No why?

Why don't you translate this little chanson for us mate. It's "cute" as my professeur would say.
Obviously I'm talking about you knowing nothing about a 7th interval 2 days ago and then coming up with one today.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

First, thanks a whole bunch for putting Westside Story in my head.

I can't think of any melodies with this interval either. The closest I can come is what I think of as a little boogy progression that you used to hear all the time in early rock n' roll piano.

For example, the bass line would be root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 5th, 3rd, root. You hear it on several Jerry Lee Lewis tunes like Great Balls of Fire. Whole Lotta Shakin goin on also has that progression. There are many many others. That is what I think of since I play those from time to time. That may not help your student but who knows.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It was a cute little song I knew and when I read yours I tried to understand what it was and I listened for that interval, over and over and over, until this one came to mind. It is wrong? It wouldn't be the first time. I can't get that stuff right most of the time, but it sounded weird. Of course, all French songs sound weird. It's just a weird jump. Do you know any descending minor seventh intervals? Now I need to go back to those songs you listed. I worked hard on this one, so if it's wrong tell me. Creek can list songs for all the major and minor ascending and descending intervals and I must work like a journeyman to figure it out, so mock a music idiot if you will. I still struggle with the circle of fifths.
The D to C interval in the second line is a minor seventh, so you are spot on. It just surprises me that you came across this song. Sort of an odd lullaby, btw, and may reveal something about the French.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Carry on guys and gals, I'll stay out of this discussion since I'm in over my head. Accept my apologies, I'll listen and learn.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-12-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote