cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 02:39 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Amen. Will Farell's impersonation of Harry on SNL wasn't too far off.

Chick kept getting better too. His streak of games was amazing. 40 years straight. The guy created most of the vernacular used by commentators today in basketball.
Chick certainly was great. Hot Rod got so much of his on-air vocabulary from him.

What I liked best about him is that he wasn't Laker homer. His call was the same for both teams - enthusiastic as well as critical when needed. (Hot Rod is a Jazz homer, but I like what Frank Layden once said about that -"He better be a homer because the Jazz are paying him.")

There won't be another like Chick.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Chick certainly was great. Hot Rod got so much of his on-air vocabulary from him.

What I liked best about him is that he wasn't Laker homer. His call was the same for both teams - enthusiastic as well as critical when needed. (Hot Rod is a Jazz homer, but I like what Frank Layden once said about that -"He better be a homer because the Jazz are paying him.")

the guy you are all forgetting is Ernie Harwell...you probably dont know him because he was the tigers play by play guys for 50 years... He was vin sculley before vin sculley....

"That ball is Lonnnng goooone!"
Old 02-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

Honestly I never cared much for Hot Rod until I read that big article about his tragic and depressing life. It amazed me that the guy could get up for Jazz games.

Vin Scully has called some of the biggest baseball games ever too. I mean he's been with the Dodgers for 50+ years too. Some guys have been blessed with the gift of gab and the guys we have been discussing are certainly blessed. I wish I had it, talk about a dream job.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 AM   #14
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
the guy you are all forgetting is Ernie Harwell...you probably dont know him because he was the tigers play by play guys for 50 years... He was vin sculley before vin sculley....

"That ball is Lonnnng goooone!"
Wrong Red Barber was Vin Scully before Vin Scully. But Harwell was another good one.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Honestly I never cared much for Hot Rod until I read that big article about his tragic and depressing life. It amazed me that the guy could get up for Jazz games.

Vin Scully has called some of the biggest baseball games ever too. I mean he's been with the Dodgers for 50+ years too. Some guys have been blessed with the gift of gab and the guys we have been discussing are certainly blessed. I wish I had it, talk about a dream job.
I don't know if he still does it, but during the World Series, I would turn down the volume of the tv and listen to Vin on the CBS radio call.

Red Barber was great too. Lots of good ones in baseball. Bob Uecker is a hoot.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:27 AM   #16
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like Hot Rod because he is fast. Some play by play guys just can't describe the action fast enough.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #17
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hubie Brown? Are you for real? He's Captain Obvious. He's the John Madden of the NBA.
I love Hubie. He looks at the game the same way that I do, based upon statistics. He is the only guy that ever says "what you really need from Jon Koncack is for him to knock down 42% of his 17 foot jumpers. If you can get that then you have got the game in hand." That is my favorite Hubie quote. I don't expect other people to like it the same way.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #18
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I love Hubie. He looks at the game the same way that I do, based upon statistics. He is the only guy that ever says "what you really need from Jon Koncack is for him to knock down 42% of his 17 foot jumpers. If you can get that then you have got the game in hand." That is my favorite Hubie quote. I don't expect other people to like it the same way.
I got you. I'd take Hubie any day of the week over Doug Collins. Holy hell I hate that guy. Every comment begins with "When I was coaching Michael..."