cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Since I cant post on cougarboard.......

Let me weigh in on JB going to the dolphins right here. I have been a lifelong BYU and Miami fan. When Beck was drafted my phone rang non-stop. I was very excited. A few things however.

1. Going to a dolphins message board and telling fins fans how good Beck is going to be is not going to make them want John Beck. If i had not seen Beck play so many times i would feel the same way they do. I feel Quinn is a bit overrated however if the 2nd best Qb In the draft (even if its just on paper) is available you take him. Especially if you need a QB.

2. I do think on paper Miami made a mistake in not taking Quinn however i feel like Beck will be better. Now if you look at it from a scouts perspective and the way Miami had the players on their board. They picked up the #2 QB in the draft on their board. The #2 reciever on their board, and the #2 center on their board. Plus a change of pace third down back. In the dolphins eyes they had a hell of a draft. Cam Cameron already said they had Beck rated higher than Quinn and figured he would be available in round 2. They actually tried to trade ahead of Detroit in Round 2 to get him, but when they called, they found out Detroit had traded out of that spot so they stayed put and it worked.

3. The BCS bias is in full effect even in the NFL draft, Miami fans automatically knock JB down one notch due to the level of competition he played against, we know he played some tough teams, but they have no clue who is in the MWC. They also will immediately knock his age because he is supposed to be the franchise QB they have been waiting for since Marino left, yet he is 26.

4. My outlook on JBs career, Miami will trade for Trent Green, Green will play for at least 2 years if he can still be effective, JB will sit back and learn from Trent. At 28 years old Miami will insert John in to the starting lineup. The problem with this is Miamis defense will be aging but their offense will be young and explosive with Ronnie brown, ted ginn jr, chris chambers, Lorenzo Booker all in their mid 20s. The defense will need to get a lot younger in a hurry, JB will lead the team to a .500 or so record his first 2 years as a starter. His third year the re-building of Miamis defense will be complete, and you add that to the young weapons they have on offense and this team will be a superbowl contender. John beck will be a very solid NFL QB. He is not the next Dan Marino but he will be good, i think his career will be similar to Mark Bulgers or Matt Hasselbacks which is pretty decent.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Let me weigh in on JB going to the dolphins right here. I have been a lifelong BYU and Miami fan. When Beck was drafted my phone rang non-stop. I was very excited. A few things however.

1. Going to a dolphins message board and telling fins fans how good Beck is going to be is not going to make them want John Beck. If i had not seen Beck play so many times i would feel the same way they do. I feel Quinn is a bit overrated however if the 2nd best Qb In the draft (even if its just on paper) is available you take him. Especially if you need a QB.

2. I do think on paper Miami made a mistake in not taking Quinn however i feel like Beck will be better. Now if you look at it from a scouts perspective and the way Miami had the players on their board. They picked up the #2 QB in the draft on their board. The #2 reciever on their board, and the #2 center on their board. Plus a change of pace third down back. In the dolphins eyes they had a hell of a draft. Cam Cameron already said they had Beck rated higher than Quinn and figured he would be available in round 2. They actually tried to trade ahead of Detroit in Round 2 to get him, but when they called, they found out Detroit had traded out of that spot so they stayed put and it worked.

3. The BCS bias is in full effect even in the NFL draft, Miami fans automatically knock JB down one notch due to the level of competition he played against, we know he played some tough teams, but they have no clue who is in the MWC. They also will immediately knock his age because he is supposed to be the franchise QB they have been waiting for since Marino left, yet he is 26.

4. My outlook on JBs career, Miami will trade for Trent Green, Green will play for at least 2 years if he can still be effective, JB will sit back and learn from Trent. At 28 years old Miami will insert John in to the starting lineup. The problem with this is Miamis defense will be aging but their offense will be young and explosive with Ronnie brown, ted ginn jr, chris chambers, Lorenzo Booker all in their mid 20s. The defense will need to get a lot younger in a hurry, JB will lead the team to a .500 or so record his first 2 years as a starter. His third year the re-building of Miamis defense will be complete, and you add that to the young weapons they have on offense and this team will be a superbowl contender. John beck will be a very solid NFL QB. He is not the next Dan Marino but he will be good, i think his career will be similar to Mark Bulgers or Matt Hasselbacks which is pretty decent.
The NFL people seem to want to compare him to Drew Brees. Do you think that the comparison makes sense?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Junkie sucks!

J-E-T-S! JETS, JETS, JETS!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
The NFL people seem to want to compare him to Drew Brees. Do you think that the comparison makes sense?
The only reason he is being compared to Drew Brees is because he is shorter than most QBs, and they think he lacks arm strength.

Brees was a second round pick because he was immediately eliminated from playing with half the NFL teams because no one thought he could throw in the wind or cold weather. Everyone said he had to go to a dome team or a warm weather team. What they seem to forget is he played his college ball outside in Indiana (Purdue).

I do think Beck has a stronger arm than Brees, and he is 2 inches taller Brees is about 6'0 and Beck is 6'2. The more accurate comparison in my opinion for Beck is either Marc Bulger or Jake Delhomme. Both about 6'2-6'3 and both are extremely accurate passers but can throw the deep ball when they need too.

Beck will have a similar weapon as well, with Ted Ginn jr. Delhomme has Steve Smith and Bulger Torry Holt.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Junkie sucks!

J-E-T-S! JETS, JETS, JETS!
Wow i didnt think you could have sunk any lower in my book, but it happened.

Jazz and Jets? Whats next the Dodgers?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 AM   #6
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

umm aren't you a Spurs and fins fan? you have sunk to the lowest of low already.. I can't beat you in that.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
umm aren't you a Spurs and fins fan? you have sunk to the lowest of low already.. I can't beat you in that.
I think he's a Golden State fan.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote