cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Observations from the warriors-mavericks game

This has nothing to do with the actual game so if you are looking for analysis go to espn.com

1. baron davis looks like Kanye West, puffy cheeks and all.

2. The mavs arena is weird, the warriors benched has mavs fans on both sides of it. In the front row about the first 4 seats are fans and then the warriors coaches, players etc. then the end of the bench are more fans. I was wondering why a warriors player had a beer. I dont think i have ever seen this before.

3. Ilpad to answer your question in another thread, i am a lifelong Spurs fan. However i grew up in the Bay Area and I had a rich uncle growing up he had Warriors, Giants, As, 49ers and Sharks season tickets so i went to more games in my childhood then most people go to in a lifetime. I became a Giants fan, i follow the As, Warriors and Sharks. But i decided at a young age that i hated the 49ers. So i became a Dolphins fan. My team are the Dolphins in the NFL, the Spurs in the NBA, the Giants in MLB, and the Sharks in the NHL.

4. Golden State is fun to watch and Charles Barkley is the best studio guy in the NBA.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Ilpad to answer your question in another thread, i am a lifelong Spurs fan. However i grew up in the Bay Area and I had a rich uncle growing up he had Warriors, Giants, As, 49ers and Sharks season tickets so i went to more games in my childhood then most people go to in a lifetime. I became a Giants fan, i follow the As, Warriors and Sharks. But i decided at a young age that i hated the 49ers. So i became a Dolphins fan. My team are the Dolphins in the NFL, the Spurs in the NBA, the Giants in MLB, and the Sharks in the NHL.
Interesting. How does one growing up in the Bay Area become a Spurs fan? Not that you're wrong to do so, I'm just curious how it happens.

Before the Jazz came to Salt Lake, I wasn't a fan of any particular team. WHen they moved here, I was a soph in high school and I decided that I may as well become a Jazz fan. My love for the Jazz has really tapered off over the last 3 or 4 years, as I've become increasingly disenchanted with the NBA. I'll pull for the Jazz in the playoffs, but I won't make a concerted effort in the regular season to watch any basketball.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #3
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Interesting. How does one growing up in the Bay Area become a Spurs fan? Not that you're wrong to do so, I'm just curious how it happens.

Before the Jazz came to Salt Lake, I wasn't a fan of any particular team. WHen they moved here, I was a soph in high school and I decided that I may as well become a Jazz fan. My love for the Jazz has really tapered off over the last 3 or 4 years, as I've become increasingly disenchanted with the NBA. I'll pull for the Jazz in the playoffs, but I won't make a concerted effort in the regular season to watch any basketball.

When i was in the first grade, and i still remember this vividly to this day. I was becoming very involved in sports and was a huge sports fan. Well most of the kids at my school liked whoever was winning. So i decided then that i was going to pick my teams and always follow them. The Spurs had just drafted a Center from Navy by the name of David Robinson. I was excited and loved watching D-rob in college so i picked San Antonio.

The Dolphins threw the ball a ton and i wanted to be a quarterback and always loved Dan Marino so i picked Miami.

The Giants had my all-time favorite athlete on the team at the time Will "the Thrill" Clark. They were also local, my friend growing up his dad was a tugboat driver and we would take his boat over to candlestick and watch the games. I was at the game where Dave Justice hit hte longest homerun in Candlestick history beating kevin Mitchells record, consequently that same game Tom Glavine pitched a 1 hitter. That started my hatred for Atlanta then the 1993 playoff run didnt help. So the Giants became the team.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
When i was in the first grade, and i still remember this vividly to this day. I was becoming very involved in sports and was a huge sports fan. Well most of the kids at my school liked whoever was winning. So i decided then that i was going to pick my teams and always follow them. The Spurs had just drafted a Center from Navy by the name of David Robinson. I was excited and loved watching D-rob in college so i picked San Antonio.

The Dolphins threw the ball a ton and i wanted to be a quarterback and always loved Dan Marino so i picked Miami.

The Giants had my all-time favorite athlete on the team at the time Will "the Thrill" Clark. They were also local, my friend growing up his dad was a tugboat driver and we would take his boat over to candlestick and watch the games. I was at the game where Dave Justice hit hte longest homerun in Candlestick history beating kevin Mitchells record, consequently that same game Tom Glavine pitched a 1 hitter. That started my hatred for Atlanta then the 1993 playoff run didnt help. So the Giants became the team.
All good reasons for choosing your teams.

For me, I became a Baltimore Orioles fan when I was 8 years old and my uncle who is from Baltimore took me with him and my aunt back to Baltimore for some family business. My uncle had a friend who was a part of the ground crew at the old War Memorial Stadium and this guy got me onto the field during batting practice. He introduced me to Brooks Robinson and Robinson got a new ball from the equipment manager and then introduced me to each and every one of the Orioles and had them sign the ball. (Names on the ball include Robinson, Jim Palmer, Don Baylor, Paul Blair, Al Bumbry, Bob Grich and Earl Weaver). Weaver even suggested that I take a little bit of BP and Jim Palmer pitched 5 or 6 balls to me. They gave me a hat and a Louisville Slugger bat and then my uncle and I sat in box seats right near the Orioles dugout.

I was hooked for life.

Choosing the Broncos as my NFL team is much less interesting. It was the same year that I chose the Orioles and I just liked the orange uniforms.

BTW - I played against Will Clark in a 3 game series when he was at Miss. State and I was at Marist. He was a terrific player then and they took 2 of 3 games from us.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
All good reasons for choosing your teams.

For me, I became a Baltimore Orioles fan when I was 8 years old and my uncle who is from Baltimore took me with him and my aunt back to Baltimore for some family business. My uncle had a friend who was a part of the ground crew at the old War Memorial Stadium and this guy got me onto the field during batting practice. He introduced me to Brooks Robinson and Robinson got a new ball from the equipment manager and then introduced me to each and every one of the Orioles and had them sign the ball. (Names on the ball include Robinson, Jim Palmer, Don Baylor, Paul Blair, Al Bumbry, Bob Grich and Earl Weaver). Weaver even suggested that I take a little bit of BP and Jim Palmer pitched 5 or 6 balls to me. They gave me a hat and a Louisville Slugger bat and then my uncle and I sat in box seats right near the Orioles dugout.

I was hooked for life.

Choosing the Broncos as my NFL team is much less interesting. It was the same year that I chose the Orioles and I just liked the orange uniforms.

BTW - I played against Will Clark in a 3 game series when he was at Miss. State and I was at Marist. He was a terrific player then and they took 2 of 3 games from us.
Thats awesome, i have had a few similar experiences. My best friend growing up his Uncle is Craig Lefferts that pitched for San Francisco, and Texas.

He would always take us in to the clubhouse after games and let us hang out and talk to the players as long as we didnt bug them for autographs and stuff like that.

When he was with San Francisco i saw Donnel Nixon naked for some reason i remember it clearly. I talked to Will Clark a few times but i was way to star struck.

When he went to Texas, Will actually went as well so i saw Will again when he was a Ranger. Juan Gonzalez was the biggest dick you will ever meet. He was so rude to use and no one in the locker room really liked him.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Juan Gonzalez was the biggest dick you will ever meet. He was so rude to use and no one in the locker room really liked him.
I think Ricky Henderson could have given Juan G a run for his money back in his day. He had a girlfriend near my buddies house in my hometown (Fairfield) and was often seen cruising around in his lamborghini. My buddy tried talking to him several times and he was a huge prick each time he talked to him.

He was also funny to watch during home games. Aside from when the ball was in play, all he did was stare into the stands checking all the bleacher girls out.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Barry Bonds is the biggest prick of all professional athletes. He has no equal.