cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beckham to MLS?

I heard today he's headed for the LA Galaxy? I know he's nearing the end of his career and I think this could be a brilliant move for him. He's one of the most famous and recognizable people on earth except in the US. I think he knows that if he can make it big in the US then he's officially conquered the world (as far as advertising goes).
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I refuse to acknowledge that the MLS is a professional sport, so I consider this post miscategorized.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

5 years 250 million, i dont think MLS can afford that, that is an asinine amount of money, for an aging soccer player.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
5 years 250 million, i dont think MLS can afford that, that is an asinine amount of money, for an aging soccer player.
To make the USA a player on the international soccer scene? Might be a bargain.

Imagine if Michael Jordan, at the age of 32, had gone to Europe to play basketball.

Tell me that doesn't do something for basketball in Europe. And tell me we don't start following it a little bit in the USA.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Seems like an absurd amount of money. More than twice what ARod gets for the highest revenue producing team in the world. And look how ARod gets crucified for it.

Why did they have to pay Beckham three times his market value to get him to come to USA?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
$250M in salary and commercial endorsements. We don't know how much is salary and how much is going to come from commercial endorsements. If you break that out to $50M a year it would put him at number two behind Tiger Woods ($97M) on the list of highest earning U.S. athletes. Next closest behind him would be Phil Mickelson at $46M.

Of course, the golfers earned the vast bulk of their money through endorsements. Carson Palmer had the highest salary/winnings ($30M) of any U.S. athlete because of upfront contract money.

If you look at foreign athletes, Michael Schumacher would still dwarf him at $80M but Becks would be number 2 on that list. According to that list, Becks earned $23M last year so $50M a year average is a pretty big jump.

I like how they refer to him as an "aging soccer star" at age 31. Dang, that makes me feel old.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this could be huge for MLS. It puts them in the entertainment headlines constantly. I agree with Waters, I can't imagine that he doesn't bring a ton of curious viewers.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
They can't afford it. A huge portion of the money and sponsorships is being paid for by a club in England.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #9
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found out two things: Adidas will pick up close to 120 million of the deal, and MLS will chip in as well so that Becks does some commercials for them.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I happened to hear Dave Checketts, the Real Salt Lake owner a bit ago while driving home. It was an accident really, as I try not to listen to too much local sports radio, but I digress...

Anyway, he said that the MLS has a little known thing going on that each franchise can save a spot on their roster (kind of a hidden slot, if you will) for a big name international soccer player. Each team has only one of these slots and only one so one franchise can't load their roster with the best players in the world.

LA went first - at least I think they're the first - and went after Beckham.

Beckham is a huge name and a big get for LA, but like so many others, Checketts believes he's probably past his prime to really help the Galaxy. Checketts then said that he's holding out a bit before he makes a move after one of the big name overseas players because he wants someone that is in their prime and can make a bigger impact.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote