cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Those were the John Lithgow....George Karl years, no? Or were they the Nellie years?

I remember the ugly incident in the Salt Palace in the playoffs between the Warriors and Jazz back in about '85 or '86. Karl Malone and George Karl going after each other; Golden State bench surrounding Karl Malone; and fans trying to go after the Warriors players.

I miss those days of Utah Jazz basketball when they played the true Jerry Sloan "beat the crap out of the opponent and not worry about any repercussions" style of ball.
Those were the first Nellie years. Then Don Nelson got some crazy idea "Lets trade Mitch Richmond to Sacramento for Billy Owens" Then they started drafting players like Chris Gatling, and Todd Fuller. Garry St. Jean then came in to "Save" the franchise and took Joe Smith number 1 overall, and then traded for washed up players like John Starks, Mookie Blaylock and Terry Cummings.

Even the drafting of Webber number 1 wasnt to bad, because at least they had Sprewell in his prime, that was the last year they made the playoffs. Webbers rookie season.

Then for some reason after Garry St. Jean ruined Golden State they kept him on board, and after getting a steal in the 2nd round by drafting Gilbert Arenas they gave Erick Dampier, Adonal Foyle and Danny Fortson an obscene amount of money and were unable to resign him or Antwan Jamison.

Then Mullin comes in as GM and drafts Dunleavy, Diogu, and Murphy and gives some obscen money to Dunleavy and Murphy. However he may have redeemed himself by making the Indiana trade, as long as Stephen Jackson doesnt get killed on the streets of Oakland him and Harrington were a great pickup. He also managed to dump Derek Fishers contract, and traded for one of hte leagues best PGs when healthy for virtually nothing in Baron Davis.

Imagine this starting 5, Antawn Jamison, Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Adonal Foyle. With Monta Ellis, Andries Biedrins coming off the bench. That is a tough team.

Last edited by cougjunkie; 04-23-2007 at 06:44 AM.
cougjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'll admit I was wrong, but it's only one game. I still expect Dallas to win the series.

San Antonio on the other hand has their hands full with Denver and that series will likely go 7 games and I wouldn't be surprised to see that 1st round upset.

I can't believe I'm saying this. 2 months ago I would've predicted a San Antonio sweep.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'll admit I was wrong, but it's only one game. I still expect Dallas to win the series.

San Antonio on the other hand has their hands full with Denver and that series will likely go 7 games and I wouldn't be surprised to see that 1st round upset.

I can't believe I'm saying this. 2 months ago I would've predicted a San Antonio sweep.
The Nets got the best draw of the first round, IMO. I don't see the Raptors competing and if they don't win game 2 that could be a sweep too.

Those tricky 6/3 matchups
Old 04-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
The Nets got the best draw of the first round, IMO. I don't see the Raptors competing and if they don't win game 2 that could be a sweep too.

Agreed. Bosh vs. Carter/Kidd/Jefferson....good luck with that.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

The Raptors lost Bargnani, Garbajosa and Mopete for the majority of the second half and kept winning, Garbajosa is still out, Peterson and Bargnani are both playing very limited minutes.

They are not a bad team when healthy.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #16
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
The Raptors lost Bargnani, Garbajosa and Mopete for the majority of the second half and kept winning, Garbajosa is still out, Peterson and Bargnani are both playing very limited minutes.

They are not a bad team when healthy.
Maybe. But for an underachieving talented Nets team, they should be a fairly easy series.

Why did the Jazz let Mikey Moore go? : )
Old 04-25-2007, 02:12 AM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

So much for my bold predictions about the Raptors...