cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking After last nights performance by Deron Williams, there is no way I can

not link to this.... :-p

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1298593
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
I like DWill. But I still think I'd take CP3 over him. Felton now, that is absurd. But Paul is the man.

I still think the Jazz will be fortunate to keep in Utah for his career and that he'll likely move elsewhere for more shine time.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I like DWill. But I still think I'd take CP3 over him. Felton now, that is absurd. But Paul is the man.

I still think the Jazz will be fortunate to keep in Utah for his career and that he'll likely move elsewhere for more shine time.
You're crazy in a Johnny Lingo kind of way! I argued with Lingo --stupid I know-- on CougarBoard last night about his idiotic hateful comments concerning Fisher; Lingo was glad he wasn't playing!?

I am prepared to argue with you in the same way ... CP3 as you call him physically will not be able hold up against the rigors of the NBA. This season is evidence of what is to come the rest of his career.

He does not appear to be coachable on this level and instead will rely on his raw ability and strikes me as cut from the same mode as one Vincent Lamar Carter. I do not think he will put in the off-season time to make himself stronger and to improve his overall game.

Williams has already shown a desire to improve his physical make-up and improve his mid&long-range jumper and willingness to play D. If the Jazz pay him he will stay and be a dominant force in the Western conference that will witness Nash and Parker fade into the sunset.

Drafting Williams was a brilliant move.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
You're crazy in a Johnny Lingo kind of way! I argued with Lingo --stupid I know-- on CougarBoard last night about his idiotic hateful comments concerning Fisher; Lingo was glad he wasn't playing!?
I saw one of his Fisher comments. He is not a kind person. He also needs the shit kicked out of him.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Quote:

I am prepared to argue with you in the same way ... CP3 as you call him physically will not be able hold up against the rigors of the NBA. This season is evidence of what is to come the rest of his career.

He does not appear to be coachable on this level and instead will rely on his raw ability and strikes me as cut from the same mode as one Vincent Lamar Carter. I do not think he will put in the off-season time to make himself stronger and to improve his overall game.

Williams has already shown a desire to improve his physical make-up and improve his mid&long-range jumper and willingness to play D. If the Jazz pay him he will stay and be a dominant force in the Western conference that will witness Nash and Parker fade into the sunset.

Drafting Williams was a brilliant move.
I really do like both players and to be honest if I had the choice of either right now it'd be a difficult decision. But if this were draft day, based on college and potential, there is no way I would have taken Williams over Paul if both were on the board.

I really don't think CP3 is the punk you paint him to be either. It'd be tough to be playing and happy in his situation. DWill is in a much better situation.

Utah fans are dreaming if they think they can maintain this team and keep them together for a serious run. And this season isn't a run. The stars aligned for the perfect storm and their trip to the Western Conference Finals (they should and will beat GS) is more luck than anything. It's not always money, and even if Utah has it to pay, what makes Utah more attractive than the big city teams?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's not always money, and even if Utah has it to pay, what makes Utah more attractive than the big city teams?
This is the problem that Utah has. Much too much Momonphobia in the NBA.

The Jazz were fortunate to have guys like Stockton and Malone for all those years, though Malone was always accused of being an Uncle Tom because of his wanting to be here.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
tooblue

Quote:
I really do like both players and to be honest if I had the choice of either right now it'd be a difficult decision. But if this were draft day, based on college and potential, there is no way I would have taken Williams over Paul if both were on the board.

I really don't think CP3 is the punk you paint him to be either. It'd be tough to be playing and happy in his situation. DWill is in a much better situation.

Utah fans are dreaming if they think they can maintain this team and keep them together for a serious run. And this season isn't a run. The stars aligned for the perfect storm and their trip to the Western Conference Finals (they should and will beat GS) is more luck than anything. It's not always money, and even if Utah has it to pay, what makes Utah more attractive than the big city teams?
He is a punk who slapped an opponent in the nads and gave up on his team, choosing to foul out, in their tournament run the year before the draft.

The economics of the game may very well dictate that this group of players have nowhere else to go, and therefore will take the money offered and be happy to remain in Utah. There are now many equally less desirable cities to play in along with SLC, namely: Toronto, Sacramento, New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis, Minnesota. Not every player can play in Chicago, New York, Detroit, L.A. etc. Ultimately the money and playing for a wining team is more important.

Putting yourself in the position as a 4 or 5 seed is not luck, nor does it have anything to do with stars aligning ... it's called good coaching and good play compounded by good personel moves.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:10 AM   #8
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
This is the problem that Utah has. Much too much Momonphobia in the NBA.

The Jazz were fortunate to have guys like Stockton and Malone for all those years, though Malone was always accused of being an Uncle Tom because of his wanting to be here.
Malone is an Uncle Tom. And yes the Jazz were fortunate.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #9
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Putting yourself in the position as a 4 or 5 seed is not luck, nor does it have anything to do with stars aligning ... it's called good coaching and good play compounded by good personel moves.
Their seed is not what I was referring to as luck. They earned it and rightfully so.

While those cities you listed have paltry teams, Toronto perhaps excluded though they do play in the East, all have advantages of living there over SLC when viewed through the eyes of the demographic of today's NBA player. I'd argue that winning isn't everything.

My point being, if there is another team capable of being a playoff team with the addition of Deron Williams or already is without him, and can offer the same amount of money why would he stay? And trust me there will be many teams with enticing offers when his contract comes up. If he does stay, how much does Utah give up to keep him? What does that leave for the rest of the team? While DWill is the man, he's not someone in my opinion you should build a team around.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 AM   #10
tooblue

Quote:
Their seed is not what I was referring to as luck. They earned it and rightfully so.

While those cities you listed have paltry teams, Toronto perhaps excluded though they do play in the East, all have advantages of living there over SLC when viewed through the eyes of the demographic of today's NBA player. I'd argue that winning isn't everything.

My point being, if there is another team capable of being a playoff team with the addition of Deron Williams or already is without him, and can offer the same amount of money why would he stay? And trust me there will be many teams with enticing offers when his contract comes up. If he does stay, how much does Utah give up to keep him? What does that leave for the rest of the team? While DWill is the man, he's not someone in my opinion you should build a team around.
Utah is not building a team around him -he is a part of the team. Ultimately perhaps his character will reveal that's not good enough. However, the jazz control his contract for the next several years -he will not have a choice to go any where else

If they keep the essential peices in place and pick up an athletic two guard they will make a run.

NBA players love the visit Toronto -they just don't want to live in Canada. With the ammounts of money players are making these days as compared to durring Ronny Seikly's NBA tenure, living in SLC isn't all that bad especially when you can get a $100 or less flight to vegas any time you feel the urge.

There are worse places to live in the NBA right now.