cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 04:32 AM   #51
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 AM   #52
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
You give a sarcastic statement, you got a sarcastic response. Don't take a dump in the woods and expect the stench you left to smell like strawberries.
I'm not sure Robin was being sarcastic, but I'm pretty sure he was trying to push your buttons. Evidently he succeeded. I think it's great that people on this site have different POV's, and I like the fact that for the most part people have been able to disagree with each othere while respecting differing opinions. It would be a shame to lose that.

Robin, I think that it's great that you're on this site. You offer a different perspective and are well-spoken. I agree with much of what you say, but sometimes you tend to favor antagonism over dialogue. If you don't hit people over the head with your views, you'll get a lot further with people on this site. Just a suggestion.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:17 AM   #53
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:54 AM   #54
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Addendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
Joseph Smith and his 33 wives come to mind as well as other details about polygamy. The Expositor thing is in there(as well as reports that Joseph & Hyrum fled initialy to avoid being caught).There may be others but I am too tired to think of them right now.
Yeah, I agree on JS and polygamy. I suppose those in charge have a hard time reconciling the secretive nature of JS' polygamy with the principle of honesty. Also, talking about JS and polygamy opens the door to history that is difficult to explain.

On that topic, I was struck in Bushman's book by the lengths to which The Church went, when confronted by RLDS claims to the contrary circa the late 1800s, to establish the fact that JS practiced polygamy (for example, having his polygamous widows swear out affidavits to the intimate nature of their relationships, etc.). Quite a contrast to today where I think many Mormons are surprised to hear of his multiple wives. I wonder when the decision was made to quit talking about this.

My hope is that Bushman's book will lead to more mainstream openness on these subjects.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote