cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Charred beef dipped in sesame oil

Craving a dish I had a few times in Korea. Thin beef strips grilled or fried, usually charred, dipped in a bowl of sesame oil with a pile of salt in the middle. Is this strictly a Korean dish or is it popular in other Asian countries. Good stuff. Very manly.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I just checked out Bee-Bim Bop from the library. It's a cute book with a nice rhythm. My daughter loves it. In the back is a recipe for the Korean dish Bee-Bim Bop. Have you (or has anyone) ever made it before? Or eaten it? I've never made Korean food before, but I might try this one before I have to return the book.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I just checked out Bee-Bim Bop from the library. It's a cute book with a nice rhythm. My daughter loves it. In the back is a recipe for the Korean dish Bee-Bim Bop. Have you (or has anyone) ever made it before? Or eaten it? I've never made Korean food before, but I might try this one before I have to return the book.
Yes, bibim pap is great. It's hard to make at home, at least for me. I never quite get the right mix of stuff, but I have never used a recipe. It's anti-Korean to use a recipe. Maybe I should try one. The best is to get the tolsot bibim pap at a Korean restaurant. Tolsot = stone bowl or hot bowl or something. They serve it to you in hot stone bowl that makes the rice on the sides crispy. It's what my wife always orders when go Korean. I usually get the ojingo pogum:fried squid in a spicy red sauce.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I have had it in Korea and several times at the local Korean rest. Very good.