cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I was spoiled. Had dinner appointments most nights. Served in Northern California.

On the flip side I'd never realized how many crappy different versions of lasagna out there existed.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I was spoiled. Had dinner appointments most nights. Served in Northern California.

On the flip side I'd never realized how many crappy different versions of lasagna out there existed.
I feel somewhat bad for stateside missionaries. How much spaghetti/lasagna can one person eat before they start telling members to go to hell?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I feel somewhat bad for stateside missionaries. How much spaghetti/lasagna can one person eat before they start telling members to go to hell?
Most of the time I realized how fortuante I was compared to a lot of other missionaries who weren't eating well.

However, there were many occasions where a member family would use missionaries over for dinner night as their experimental recipe zone. Oft times with disastrous results.

Rule #1 when it comes to feeding missionaries: Never experiment. Go with the tried and true.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #24
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
You speak truth. Much of my mission was spent in areas where the people were pretty poor and we didn't get a lot of dinner appointments. But my last area was in the mission office and that was a very prosperous ward (as most wards with mission homes are). We got fed every night and it got really old. Not just the food, but the scheduling. It got to be a pain to have to work your schedule around where you were eating that night.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Most of the time I realized how fortuante I was compared to a lot of other missionaries who weren't eating well.

However, there were many occasions where a member family would use missionaries over for dinner night as their experimental recipe zone. Oft times with disastrous results.

Rule #1 when it comes to feeding missionaries: Never experiment. Go with the tried and true.
When we have the missionaries over for meals, we always try to serve meat or at least chicken--even homemade burgers. I feel bad giving them pasta because I know they are sick of it.

I also tell them that they dont have to eat a single dang thing if they dont want.

Finally, I talk almost entirely about sports, BYU, SC, and what they are going to do when they get home.

If the sisters come over, I usually leave once I am done eating and go watch TV in the other room.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #26
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When we have the missionaries over for meals, we always try to serve meat or at least chicken--even homemade burgers. I feel bad giving them pasta because I know they are sick of it.

I also tell them that they dont have to eat a single dang thing if they dont want.

Finally, I talk almost entirely about sports, BYU, SC, and what they are going to do when they get home.

If the sisters come over, I usually leave once I am done eating and go watch TV in the other room.
I always take them to Chipotle. They seem to like that, plus I don't have to deal with them sharing a thought and offering an awkward invitation that I have no intention of fulfilling.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #27
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I always take them to Chipotle. They seem to like that, plus I don't have to deal with them sharing a thought and offering an awkward invitation that I have no intention of fulfilling.
Eating out is always a good one. One thing I feel kind of bad about on my mission ... we had an investigator who was the manager of Long John Silver's. One day we went in there and he gave us free lunch. So then we started conveniently "dropping in" at meal times all the time.

He never did join the church. I wonder if it's because he figured Mormons are freeloaders or something?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Hmm......I am already prepared to steal your ramen in a skillet idea. Might as well make it 2 for 2 today.

Do you take them solo or does the whole family go?

I may take it a step further and simply have something delivered to their apartment or hand them some cash on Sunday. They dont even need to come over to our house at all.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #29
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hmm......I am already prepared to steal your ramen in a skillet idea. Might as well make it 2 for 2 today.

Do you take them solo or does the whole family go?

I may take it a step further and simply have something delivered to their apartment or hand them some cash on Sunday. They dont even need to come over to our house at all.
I've gone with them solo and with the whole fam. It's fun to go out with the Elder's because you notice how everybody looks at them really weird, afraid to make eye contact lest the Elder's shove a free DVD in their face.

For Christmas I like to give the missionaries in my ward a gift card to a Chipotle/Panera type place. It's a little bit healthier than fast food and they can enjoy a relaxing meal without the stress of entertaining members.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #30
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago my wife had scheduled the missionaries to come over for dinner on a thursday, normally okay, except when its TCU gameday and one of the few games this year I got to see.

They called an hour earlier and said they were going to be late - a perfect opportunity for me to tell them that, unfortunately, "late" would not work tonight. So I dropped a couple of 1/2 pound burritos on their doorstep on my way over the SteelBlues house for the game. Perfect outcome for all of us - they got Burrito Bandido and I got to see the game.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote