cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #61
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So you mean that proof would be an observed example of what the articel called macro evoultion? Is that what you mean?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #62
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
I don't really care about your lack of theological heartburn. What I am interested in is how in the world you arrived at this belief. Oh yeah, and are you an active member of the LDS church?
Yes, very. In fact I gave a talk in sacrament meeting a couple of weeks back.
We had FHE last night.

Does gravity disturb you? We understand the basics pretty well and are trying to flesh out the rest of the theory, but it's pretty evident what is going on, whether there is a graviton or something else yet to be discovered. But the fact remains, masses attract each other.
I don't see how one could view things otherwise. But, we're all free to decide for ourselves.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #63
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That is a completely baffling statement. Every single person who cracks open the scriptures has the prerogative to decide for themselves what is and isn't true.
Don't tell me we're headed for a "what is truth?" or "is truth relative?" discussion.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #64
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yes, very. In fact I gave a talk in sacrament meeting a couple of weeks back.
We had FHE last night.

Does gravity disturb you? We understand the basics pretty well and are trying to flesh out the rest of the theory, but it's pretty evident what is going on, whether there is a graviton or something else yet to be discovered. But the fact remains, masses attract each other.
I don't see how one could view things otherwise. But, we're all free to decide for ourselves.
Nice try, but I don't see what gravity has to do with man evolving from microscopic creatures. Gravity is a fact, the evolution of man from a microscopic creature is not. In fact, there is nothing I have ever heard or read about in the scriptures, or teachings from Church leaders that gives any credence to this belief in evolution whatsoever. If you have something to suggest otherwise, I'd love to hear about it.

I believe man was created in God's image, not that man evolved into God's image.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #65
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nice try, but I don't see what gravity has to do with man evolving from microscopic creatures. Gravity is a fact, the evolution of man from a microscopic creature is not. In fact, there is nothing I have ever heard or read about in the scriptures, or teachings from Church leaders that gives any credence to this belief in evolution whatsoever. If you have something to suggest otherwise, I'd love to hear about it.

I believe man was created in God's image, not that man evolved into God's image.
So how did God create man? What was the actual and literal mechanism He used? Apart from your belief, what evidence is there to support your suggested mechanism (assuming you have one)?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #66
Brian

Quote:

Gravity is an observable phenomenon that is mostly understood, but not entirely.
Evolution is likewise. That's why I brought it up.

And what exactly does the "image of God" mean? And what exactly does it mean to be "created" in that image? And what did L. Snow say God was before he was God? There is some interesting meat to dig here.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #67
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
So how did God create man? What was the actual and literal mechanism He used? Apart from your belief, what evidence is there to support your suggested mechanism (assuming you have one)?
I suppose the Priesthood had something to do with it. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you. Why don't you ask Him?

At least I can support my belief with the scriptures, the teachings in the temple, and Church leaders. What can the evolutionists use to support their belief?
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #68
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Don't tell me we're headed for a "what is truth?" or "is truth relative?" discussion.
??? Another bizarre response.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #69
Brian

Quote:
I suppose the Priesthood had something to do with it. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you. Why don't you ask Him?

At least I can support my belief with the scriptures, the teachings in the temple, and Church leaders. What can the evolutionists use to support their belief?
If you want to be completely literal, if we were all created in the image of god, we would all look the same, same eye color, same hair color, same hair waviness, same height, weight, proportions, etc etc.

Where do you draw the literalness line?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #70
Brian

Quote:

Absolutely, the priesthood was involved. It's the governing principle of the universe.