cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stake Leadership Meeting

I was sitting in another Stake Leadership Meeting the other evening. The usual discussion about increasing activity, improving missionary work, getting YM on missions, reactivation (i.e. rescuing).

After I got home, it occurred me that it didn't strike me as unusual that not a single woman was in attendance. It's actually called the Stake Priesthood Leadership Meeting. And there were probably a couple hundred men from the stake in attendance.

As far as I know, there is no Stake Leadership meeting that includes women. I know there is the occasional SLC training meeting that includes women.

Shouldn't this be weird to me? Over half of our wards are women. We do all this stuff, try to strengthen our wards, and strategize and all that and don't include any women. There's a High Council. But it has no women. As far as I know, there is not a stake council that includes women.

I've been told that SLC wants to remove power/responsibility from Bishoprics and place that on Ward Councils. Which does include women. That's a good thing I think.

But sometimes I scratch my head about how poorly we utilize the talents of women. Can't women be more fully included and utilized without giving them the priesthood?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was sitting in another Stake Leadership Meeting the other evening. The usual discussion about increasing activity, improving missionary work, getting YM on missions, reactivation (i.e. rescuing).

After I got home, it occurred me that it didn't strike me as unusual that not a single woman was in attendance. It's actually called the Stake Priesthood Leadership Meeting. And there were probably a couple hundred men from the stake in attendance.

As far as I know, there is no Stake Leadership meeting that includes women. I know there is the occasional SLC training meeting that includes women.

Shouldn't this be weird to me? Over half of our wards are women. We do all this stuff, try to strengthen our wards, and strategize and all that and don't include any women. There's a High Council. But it has no women. As far as I know, there is not a stake council that includes women.

I've been told that SLC wants to remove power/responsibility from Bishoprics and place that on Ward Councils. Which does include women. That's a good thing I think.

But sometimes I scratch my head about how poorly we utilize the talents of women. Can't women be more fully included and utilized without giving them the priesthood?
Some stakes have a Stake Auxilliary Meeting which includes leaders in Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary. Also, many PEC's now incorporate the Relief Society president. And of course a decade ago President Hinckley incorporated women into the General Conference with two new annual meetings, as well as included them as separate groups in solemn assemblies.

So, I think the church is making good progress down this road. However, I suspect your complaint isn't about being more inclusive of women as much as it is a criticism of a male-only priesthood.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Tex throws down the gauntlet, LOL.

Our ward does include the RS president in PEC. How can do you ward reactivation and welfare when half the ward isn't represented in the planning? So it makes a lot of sense.

Our women are smart. They aren't clamoring for more of a role, because they know it's thankless work. They have enough on their plates.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tex throws down the gauntlet, LOL.

Our ward does include the RS president in PEC. How can do you ward reactivation and welfare when half the ward isn't represented in the planning? So it makes a lot of sense.

Our women are smart. They aren't clamoring for more of a role, because they know it's thankless work. They have enough on their plates.
Maybe male only meetings should be canceled and we could start a novel concept of female only leadership meetings so men can stay home and watch ball games, play with the kids, debate supercilious comments on internet boards and hoards of other stuff?

I haven't attended a leadership meeting in years, a symbol of solidarity for our repressed women.