cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Age old problem of suffering

we get many answers regarding suffering and a lot of Mormon theology posits it's a necessary part of our progression.

Does anybody feel that a lot of those positing such a simple answer have themselves suffered very little? OTOH, bearing the burden of suffering in a positive manner isn't necessarily unhealthy, so long as we are patient with those who can't do it as easily.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-08-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

That's an interesting point. Suffering is certainly part of the human experience, but it isn't doled out evenly. And in fact, how we handle any given hardship is probably quite unique. I do think that it can strengthen a person, but whether it's necessary for progression. . . I don't know. Would that mean that those who suffer more make more progress? And what of those who simply take some given hardship in stride, when others might struggle through the same thing? Is one progressing more for suffering more? Plus, we progress in a variety of ways.

I can see how the attitude you mention can seem a little glib. I think there are some who wind up with a really raw set of circumstances sometimes, and in those cases I wish there were a better explanation.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
That's an interesting point. Suffering is certainly part of the human experience, but it isn't doled out evenly. And in fact, how we handle any given hardship is probably quite unique. I do think that it can strengthen a person, but whether it's necessary for progression. . . I don't know. Would that mean that those who suffer more make more progress? And what of those who simply take some given hardship in stride, when others might struggle through the same thing? Is one progressing more for suffering more? Plus, we progress in a variety of ways.

I can see how the attitude you mention can seem a little glib. I think there are some who wind up with a really raw set of circumstances sometimes, and in those cases I wish there were a better explanation.
I'm curious if Bart Ehrman's book God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer , would be appropriate for this type of speculation. Has anyone read it? I've only heard of it but it is on my list of reads.

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

God is omnipotent, which means he could have created a plan that would have been void of suffering.

However, God is also omniscient, which means he knows what is best. Additionally, he is bound to obey the laws of Godhood or he would cease to be God.

The facts that (1) God is omnipotent, (2) omniscient, and (3) suffering exists within his umbrella, shows that suffering is a necessary experience.

Joseph Smith said:

Quote:
I am like a rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; and the only polishing I get is when some corner gets rubbed off by coming in contact with something else, striking with accelerated force against religious bigotry, priestcraft, lawyer-craft, doctor-craft, lying editors, suborned judges and jurors, and the authority of perjured executives, backed by mobs, blasphemers, licentious and corrupt men and women--all hell knocking off a corner here and a corner there. Thus I will become a smooth and polished shaft in the quiver of the Almighty.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...rious_man.html

Yes, this is why you come here. To receive a pithy answer that answers (or rather proposes) everything you asked.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote