cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeff, have you ever smoked a whole turkey? I've smoked a turkey roast and it turned out pretty well. My MIL has an iron-grip over the T-Day menu, which is fine by me, but I do think I'll smoke a few Turkey breasts and undermine her whole operation.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Great trivia game idea, if you're buying one:
Wits and Wagers

Essentially, everyone turns in an answer and you make bets on whose you think is correct. It's a good equalizer because it's just as easy (or easier) to win by winning the bets than by answering the questions correctly.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Great trivia game idea, if you're buying one:
Wits and Wagers

Essentially, everyone turns in an answer and you make bets on whose you think is correct. It's a good equalizer because it's just as easy (or easier) to win by winning the bets than by answering the questions correctly.
Unfortunately, that would not fly in our household. You can only win by knowing answers. So games like the one where everyone makes up a phony word definition and you have to guess the correct one.....those are not a big hit.

I like landpoke's puzzle idea. Folksy, but still fun. Might not fly with lots of little dudes running around the house, though.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Jeff, have you ever smoked a whole turkey? I've smoked a turkey roast and it turned out pretty well. My MIL has an iron-grip over the T-Day menu, which is fine by me, but I do think I'll smoke a few Turkey breasts and undermine her whole operation.
Lots of times. It's kind of tough to soak in brine due to the size, so I normally just rub on the Morton Tenderquick salt liberally and let it sit in the fridge for a day or two. I then smoke the turkey for 1-2 hrs and then do the remaining cooking in a big roasting pan in the oven. I suppose you could do all of the cooking in your smoker, but I always worry that it will dry out and after an hour or two you won't get any additional smoke penetration.

I get no fight from my MIL. My late FIL used to smoke turkeys every year as long as anyone can remember. I am not sure anyone in my wife's family would even eat a non-smoked turkey.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #5
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am not sure anyone in my wife's family would even eat a non-smoked turkey.
I think that my family is at this point.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly, the thought of cooking that whole meal for my in-laws makes me feel tired and a little depressed. I think I'm bah-humbugging it through this Holiday season.

I did think of a fun Thanksgiving tradition my grandma had when she was a alive. She made these awesome Parker House rolls, and one year she accidentally baked her (used) band-aid into one of them. My aunt was the lucky recipient. It became a tradition to bake a band-aid into one roll from then on.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year I made a steak shepherd's pie
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:34 AM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My FIL doesn't like turkey. One of the best things we ever had was a rib roast with a Yorkshire pudding. Very decadent, however.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:40 AM   #9
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
My dad does a smoked turkey every thanksgiving. It is by far the best way to eat that bird. I love smoked turkey. You should definitely undermine the operation by smoking bird.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #10
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
13. Dessert: pies, pies and more pies.....pumpkin, peach, banana cream and coconut cream, and pecan are the usual faves, but I love all pies except the chocolate pudding crap. Any fruit pies are ok by me. Also, mince. Yum! truthfully, pumpkin is great, but not my first choice. I would rather have others first, but pumpkin is a must for T-Day.

Activities

15. Thanksgiving night ice cream: that night, we have root beer floats, sundaes, whatever you want. Lots of ice cream, toppings, etc.. tradition.

Can't wait. Only a few weeks away.
Pie, pie and more pie and then you go back for ice cream?