cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3:10 to Yuma (some thematic spoilers)

The basic plot behind this movie, if you are not familiar with it, is that a struggling rancher (Bale) who is about to lose his ranch because he is late on his payments in the next week, agrees to help transport an outlaw (Crowe) to a neighboring town in order to get him on the train to be tried and hanged. Of course the outlaw's gang is trying to prevent him from getting on the train.

The thing is that this movie doesn't immediately reveal what it is. At first you believe the dilemma is between choosing the money to transport versus not. Because transporting has a high chance of death. And you may believe that it becomes a matter of good versus evil. A morality play. What is the best thing to do , the moral thing to do , when no one will do it. But the part that really makes the movie good in my opinion, is that it is really none of those things. It is about father measuring up to his son, and showing his son the moral path, when the son's moral future is uncertain. And the rancher turns his son from the temptation of the immoral charismatic path (Crowe).

In a way this film reminded me of "Field of Dreams". I think FoD is probably the superior movie. But the similarity is that when I first saw FoD at the age of 18, I didn't "get it". Many years later I saw it again, and it packed a wallop. This movie too is about father and son, and that will mean something to some people, and will not mean much to others.

Now is it a film for the ages? Probably not. But I enjoyed it, and would see it again.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you seen the original with Glenn Ford? It is a terrific film.

I'll go see this remake, but it will be tough for me to not compare it to the Ford film.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

I'll go see this remake, but it will be tough for me to not compare it to the Ford film.
no, but almost every comparison I have read says the new one is better.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Anyone seen this film on DVD yet? Just watched it again last night. Good film.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I watched it on DVD yesterday.

It was a great film. One that I'll eventually buy.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Somebody please explain to me Wade shooting his buddies and getting back on the train at the end.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Somebody please explain to me Wade shooting his buddies and getting back on the train at the end.
He felt sympathy and respect for Bale's character and when his head cronie shot Bale he was pissed..it probably also had something to do with the son being there to witness it all,,,,,he'd also escaped from the Yuma prison twice.....and he also whistled for his horse......so it was obviously insinuated that he had no intention of going to prison again.. or at the very least breaking out again...getting back on the train was a symbolic gesture to his son....that for the first time his Dad was indeed "a hero" and wanted his son to see his Dad as a hero.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

btw, Russell Crowe can act circles around Christian Bale.

I agree with Rocky. The implication was that Ben Wade would escape (calling horse, said he escaped from Yuma twice). When Wade is choking Bale's character to death, and Bale explains why isn't trying to be a hero, Wade decides to play the part.

Also, it was clear that Wade was willing to die at the hands of Bale's son. And the critical moment is when Wade's son chooses not to kill him. Thereby fulfilling the very thing that Bale's character died for--that his son would be a good man and make the moral choice and follow in his footsteps.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
btw, Russell Crowe can act circles around Christian Bale.

I agree with Rocky. The implication was that Ben Wade would escape (calling horse, said he escaped from Yuma twice). When Wade is choking Bale's character to death, and Bale explains why isn't trying to be a hero, Wade decides to play the part.

Also, it was clear that Wade was willing to die at the hands of Bale's son. And the critical moment is when Wade's son chooses not to kill him. Thereby fulfilling the very thing that Bale's character died for--that his son would be a good man and make the moral choice and follow in his footsteps.
I too re-watched it this weekend. The last scene in the hotel room when Bale says he's continuing on, despite everyone one else bailing, makes the movie.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

I saw the original awhile back and really enjoyed it. I have noticed it on TV a bit more now that the re-make has revived interest in the franchise.

Just as movies seldom trump the books, I cant think of too many remakes that are better than the originals. There are probably some, but not many.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote