cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I give it a thumbs up, but this was one of those movies that was filled with various characters making decisions that make no sense other than to move the plot along. As much as I enjoyed it, the more I think about it the more I think it's a pretty average film.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I give it a thumbs up, but this was one of those movies that was filled with various characters making decisions that make no sense other than to move the plot along. As much as I enjoyed it, the more I think about it the more I think it's a pretty average film.
too many God-derived moral overtones for you. we knew already before you posted.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #13
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
too many God-derived moral overtones for you. we knew already before you posted.
Good job ignoring my post and assuming based on your ignorant biases. I pity your patients, as you obviously suck at psychoanalysis.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Good job ignoring my post and assuming based on your ignorant biases. I pity your patients, as you obviously suck at psychoanalysis.
Oh, I think as long as Mike pumps 'em full of drugs, they'll be happy with his work.

I have yet to see this remake of 3:10 to Yuma. I need to in order to compare it to the original which was terrific.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:09 AM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

OK, I watched this movie and I will agree that it was quite good. But there was one part that was one of the movie that was simply absurd.

(mild spoiler alert)

I am talking about the old guy on the wagon working for Pinkerton that gets shot in the gut. Then gets dragged into town and the town vet pulls the bullet out. Voila! He is healed. Gets right up, joins the posse and is as good as new for the rest of the movie. Sure....

Another silly scene was the dynamite blowing up 30 feet or so from the guys escaping the angry railroad workers. The blast is big enough to cave in a huge rock tunnel, but doesn't do any damage to the riders on horses that close to the blast. Yeah right.

Good story and nice morality play, but they could have left out the silly cartoon-grade stuff. The script could have used more polish.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I saw this film over the weekend. Pretty enthralling from early on due to good acting by Bale and Crowe. But over time the story kind of failed for me. Could have been great but ended up only good.

Things that bothered me:

--Crowe was a bad man. You always root for redemption in the bad guys and look for the natural humanness to surface, but he proved it wasn't gonna. He killed needlessly and throughout the whole thing was extremely selfish. For him to turn on a dime for Bale's character to save face for his son was very unbelievable.

--Bale's character was so extremely pathetic. Indecisive wuss. Crowe's picking up on his wife in front of him and he just lets it happen. He has no backbone. Then all of a sudden he gets one at the end. Also not believable. They took me so far the other direction, thinking he was pathetic and almost rooting against him that it was too much to turn that quickly and let him be a macho hero.

I did like the scene in the upstairs room where Bale decides to go for it.

Liked it didn't love it. Might be a movie I like more rewatching it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I saw this film over the weekend. Pretty enthralling from early on due to good acting by Bale and Crowe. But over time the story kind of failed for me. Could have been great but ended up only good.

Things that bothered me:

--Crowe was a bad man. You always root for redemption in the bad guys and look for the natural humanness to surface, but he proved it wasn't gonna. He killed needlessly and throughout the whole thing was extremely selfish. For him to turn on a dime for Bale's character to save face for his son was very unbelievable.

--Bale's character was so extremely pathetic. Indecisive wuss. Crowe's picking up on his wife in front of him and he just lets it happen. He has no backbone. Then all of a sudden he gets one at the end. Also not believable. They took me so far the other direction, thinking he was pathetic and almost rooting against him that it was too much to turn that quickly and let him be a macho hero.

I did like the scene in the upstairs room where Bale decides to go for it.

Liked it didn't love it. Might be a movie I like more rewatching it.
I think when Crowe pays him for the cattle he killed, as well as doesnt kill the guy at the beginning, he also gives Bale extra money, then he saves them from the indians, and helps them get away from the miners. I think that they were showing he had a heart all along. He also had hired an apache which they eluded that no one else would do.

Bale I agree did have much of a backbone, but when he jumped Crowe at by the fire, and started that attack on the miners, I think they were proving that he was gaining one.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I just watched this movie today.

The original was better. This remake has injected all kinds of things that weren't in the original.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote