cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Across the Universe...

If you're a pot smoking hippy from the 60's and you're high during this movie you may enjoy it but I'm not, I wasn't and I didn't.

Last edited by RC Vikings; 02-10-2008 at 05:01 AM.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
If your a pot smoking hippy from the 60's and your high during this movie you may enjoy it but I'm not, I wasn't and I didn't.
So far, to quote Homer Simpson.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I still plan to see it on DVD. The music sounded pretty good to me. I was not a pot smoking hippy in the 60s, and I will not be high when I see it, but I expect to like it. WHy did you dislike it?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I still plan to see it on DVD. The music sounded pretty good to me. I was not a pot smoking hippy in the 60s, and I will not be high when I see it, but I expect to like it. WHy did you dislike it?
With Bono and Joe Cocker signing Beattles music you would think they couldn't go wrong but I found myself bored and just waiting for it to end. It was a poor rehash of a time that I think would be very difficult for any movie to really portray. You and I are old enough to remember Vietnam and the 60's and this movie did not make me feel nostalgic for that time period at all.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
With Bono and Joe Cocker signing Beattles music you would think they couldn't go wrong but I found myself bored and just waiting for it to end. It was a poor rehash of a time that I think would be very difficult for any movie to really portray. You and I are old enough to remember Vietnam and the 60's and this movie did not make me feel nostalgic for that time period at all.

Too bad. I suspect you;re right, but I will still rent it on DVD.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
creekster

I rented it. I liked it. Quite a bit. I think the directors style is either something you'll like or hate. It workeed for me. Joe bob says check it out

There were lots of cool beatles refernces to songs that weren't sung (like whenmax was swinging the silver hammer) and the voers were pretty good. I could have lost the eddy Izzard segment, to tell you the truth, but I thought the woman that turned "I wanna hold your hand" into a lesbian torch song was dynamite (and with that comment I suspect GOat might now want to see it).

One thing that wasn;t quite right was the hair. It was OK for the leads (except Max) but not so good on the othersn the movie.

Last edited by creekster; 03-01-2008 at 08:07 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
RC Vikings

Quote:
I rented it. I liked it. Quite a bit. I think the directors style is either something you'll like or hate. It workeed for me. Joe bob says check it out

There were lots of cool beatles refernces to songs that weren't sung (like whenmax was swinging the silver hammer) and the voers were pretty good. I could have lost the eddy Izzard segment, to tell you the truth, but I thought the woman that turned "I wanna hold your hand" into a lesbian torch song was dynamite (and with that comment I suspect GOat might now want to see it).

One thing that wasn;t quite right was the hair. It was OK for the leads (except Max) but not so good on the othersn the movie.
You're a deeper thinker then I am.

Eddy Merckx
Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I got 25 minutes into it and turned it off.

Maybe the most GAY movie ever.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I got 25 minutes into it and turned it off.

Maybe the most GAY movie ever.
Not even close. Look at the clips of xanadu that tooblue posted in the other thread. FOr that matter, the first movie to be based on covers of beatles songs (Sgt Peppers band starring the bee gees and peter frampton) was much more 'gay' and much more of a mistake. This one was done pretty well. It was not really meant to be a new plot of profound insights (IMO). It was really just a tribute to the era. They remade the songs, plugged a story around them and made also sorts of refernce to popular culture of the era. I thought bono was pretty good as the Ken Kesey figure and they replayed the famous refusal of Timothy Leary to refuse to meet with him. ANd there were all the refernces to the other beatlews songs; Prudence's freind RIta, Sadie the singer, who max calls sexy, prudence crawlign in through the bathroom window and so forth. I enjoyed it as a trip down memory lane and I enjoyed some of the musical arrangements. I really liked the dear prudence arrangement (esp. the chorus harmonies). I liked the visual of the troops carrying the statue of liberty through a miniature vietrnamese jungle, smashing all the trees all to the tune of "She's so Heavy." But, if you only saw 25 mintues, you missed most of this.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Not even close. Look at the clips of xanadu that tooblue posted in the other thread. FOr that matter, the first movie to be based on covers of beatles songs (Sgt Peppers band starring the bee gees and peter frampton) was much more 'gay' and much more of a mistake. This one was done pretty well. It was not really meant to be a new plot of profound insights (IMO). It was really just a tribute to the era. They remade the songs, plugged a story around them and made also sorts of refernce to popular culture of the era. I thought bono was pretty good as the Ken Kesey figure and they replayed the famous refusal of Timothy Leary to refuse to meet with him. ANd there were all the refernces to the other beatlews songs; Prudence's freind RIta, Sadie the singer, who max calls sexy, prudence crawlign in through the bathroom window and so forth. I enjoyed it as a trip down memory lane and I enjoyed some of the musical arrangements. I really liked the dear prudence arrangement (esp. the chorus harmonies). I liked the visual of the troops carrying the statue of liberty through a miniature vietrnamese jungle, smashing all the trees all to the tune of "She's so Heavy." But, if you only saw 25 mintues, you missed most of this.
That Sgt Pepper was very campy, but now a great piece of late 70s/early 80s rock cinema....Frampton, Aerosmith, Earth Wind and Fire, Bee Gees.

Not sure how Steve Martin fit into the grand scheme of things when the movie was being cast, but why not? George Burns is in it, so why not soon-to-be-Mormon Steve Martin?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote