cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Ahh... wonderful hypocrisy from the Hollywood Left.

In case you missed it, Isaac Hayes, who plays Chef on South Park (among other things) quit the show after they aired an episode which mocked Scientology. The Stone brothers immediately responded by saying, in effect, that Hayes had no problem mocking Muslims, Mormons, Catholics, and everyone else.

Tom Cruise, a noted Scientologist and lunatic, then pressured Comedy Central to stop the re-airing of the Scientology episiode of South Park, by threatening to not promote Mission Impossible: 3. Viacom owns Paramount, which is producing MI:3, and Comedy Central. Gotta love media conglomeration. Viacom gave in, and the episode did not air as scheduled.

Now as we all know, many Hollywood liberals are Scientologists, and fond of criticizing the government for censorship. On this issue however, they've been silent.

Quote:
"Where are George Clooney and his brave Hollywood friends?" notes DeBecht, chiding Clooney who made a particular point during the Oscars of patting himself on the back for having the courage to call Joseph McCarthy a bad guy - 50 years and countless books and documentaries after the fact. "Here’s censorship happening right under Hollywood's nose, but instead of confronting an actual free speech issue, all these brave liberals souls don’t want to take on a clear violation of free speech when it involves a big-name actor who might be able to give them a job somewhere down the road. “Hypocrisy‚ isn’t a strong enough word to describe this.”
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

if he was mormon johnny would you not be applauding him? (tom cruise that is, since isaac hayes has shown he is a hypocrite)

i doubt the ones offended view it as breaching something they hold sacred, and dear to their heart, should not tom be applauded for his courage in tackling this issue? as im sure youd do the same if our secrets, the ones in our temples, were made known to the world in cartoon...

and fyi, the scientology episode did air. they just wont re-air the show....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fussy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Tom Cruise, a noted Scientologist and lunatic, then pressured Comedy Central to stop the re-airing of the Scientology episiode of South Park
And in response to your first stupid statement: you're full of crap. Don't try to tell me what I think. South Park HAS aired an episode degenerating Mormons and I'm fine with it. You know why? Because they make fun of EVERYONE, and I'm not going to take that personally.

Anyone have anything intelligent to say about this? Fusnik just struck out, much like he does on every date he goes on*.

*fusnik has never been on a date
Old 03-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
I heard clips from the show this morning on the radio. Chef died a horrible death after joining the "Super Adventure Club" (or something like that), i.e., a not-so-veiled reference to Scientology. From the audio clips they played, it sounded pretty funny.

Given this and Tom Cruise's public trashing of Brook Shields as a result of her taking medication to treat depression, I am not sure if Tom is a good ambassador for the faith. Then again, any publicity is probably good publicity in the long run.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
From the audio clips they played, it sounded pretty funny.
You can actually download the entire show here if you want.

And you're right, the Super Adventure Club is a thinly veiled reference to Scientology... it's hammered pretty hard.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
fusnik11

Quote:
And in response to your first stupid statement: you're full of crap. Don't try to tell me what I think. South Park HAS aired an episode degenerating Mormons and I'm fine with it. You know why? Because they make fun of EVERYONE, and I'm not going to take that personally.

degenerating mormons? ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....

johnny, can a man stand up for his beliefs or not?

im not arguing what south park does, as they can do whatever the hell they want, im simply asking, can not the offended people voice their concerns?

can i say the church is a facist entity since they have issued statements against big love?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Did anybody else actually see last night's episode? HOLY CRAP, they were gunning for Scientology. I think we have an official feud on our hands.

"So, we shouldn't me mad at Chef for leaving us. We should be mad at his stupid fruity club that brainwashed him!"
Old 03-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Did anybody else actually see last night's episode? HOLY CRAP, they were gunning for Scientology. I think we have an official feud on our hands.

"So, we shouldn't me mad at Chef for leaving us. We should be mad at his stupid fruity club that brainwashed him!"
have you seen the episdoe that caused the contention.....

basically what happens is this.....

stan investigates scientology.

tom cruise locks himself into cartmans closet, r. kelly tries to sing him out of the closet.....reference to r. kelly's song....

john travolta tries to get tom out of the closet and ends up joining him in the closet....

finally r joins him in the closet....

all the while stan pays his money to learn the secrets of scientology by paying money, and they outline in detail the beliefs of the religion....

that we were intelligences or something from another planet, we escaped the rule of a bad leader, we escaped to earth, and now things like prescription drugs impede our ability to see who we truly are. all the while on the bottom of the screen is flashing, this is really what scientologists believe.....
Old 03-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #9
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
that we were intelligences or something from another planet, we escaped the rule of a bad leader, we escaped to earth, and now things like prescription drugs impede our ability to see who we truly are. all the while on the bottom of the screen is flashing, this is really what scientologists believe.....
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Have YOU seen the episode?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
fusnik11

Quote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Have YOU seen the episode?
fine you tell me what episode tom cruise didnt want aired.....