cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Better perspective.

It seems he went overboard and imprudent, because he hit something that didn't need to be hit.

I generally do not favor economic boycotts, as I have not seen them work when it would matter. Who could boycott Time Magazine to have an effect? Almost nobody.

Southpark is no big player. Tom wasted capital when he might promote his beliefs positively, rather than negatively. I'm no big fan of whining and being a victim.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:04 PM   #22
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11

you all are missing the point. im sure mr cruise thinks his beliefs are just as sacred as the ones we hold. if somebody openly mocked our beliefs, and shared our secrets, im sure there would be public outcry among the lds community and subsequent boycotting of the perpetraitor....
I totally disagree fus. And what's more, they have openly mocked our beliefs. They had Joseph Smith with a seerstone in a hat for goodness sake. I certainly don't feel the need to back Cruise on this at all.
I guess you wouldn't feel the need to back David Whitmer, either:

“Joseph Smith would put the seer stone into a hat, and put his face in the hat, drawing it closely around his face to exclude the light; and in the darkness the spiritual light would shine. A piece of something resembling parchment would appear, and on that appeared the writing. One character at a time would appear, and under it was the interpretation in English. Brother Joseph would read off the English to Oliver Cowdery, who was his principal scribe, and when it was written down and repeated to Brother Joseph to see if it was correct, then it would disappear, and another character with the interpretation would appear. Thus the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God, and not by any power of man.” (David Whitmer, An Address to All Believers in Christ, Richmond, Mo.: n.p., 1887, p. 12.)"
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #23
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American

“Joseph Smith would put the seer stone into a hat, and put his face in the hat, drawing it closely around his face to exclude the light; and in the darkness the spiritual light would shine. A piece of something resembling parchment would appear, and on that appeared the writing. One character at a time would appear, and under it was the interpretation in English. Brother Joseph would read off the English to Oliver Cowdery, who was his principal scribe, and when it was written down and repeated to Brother Joseph to see if it was correct, then it would disappear, and another character with the interpretation would appear. Thus the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God, and not by any power of man.” (David Whitmer, An Address to All Believers in Christ, Richmond, Mo.: n.p., 1887, p. 12.)"
the south park episode was pretty spot on with the way the lds church came to be. they even got the stone in the hat part right, which many lds faithful will say never happened....

josephs translation was much different than we think it was....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #24
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American

Not sure what your point is here AA. If it is to show me that the seerstone in the hat is true you're talking to the wrong guy. I'm well aware of it, and I'd hope that you'd know that about me by now. I'm simply making the point that South Park mocked many of our beliefs and our history. I didn't see us financially boycotting anything. We take it in stride and move on. I still don't feel sorry for cruise and I wasn't personally offended by any South Park episode.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:35 PM   #25
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Not sure what your point is here AA. If it is to show me that the seerstone in the hat is true you're talking to the wrong guy. I'm well aware of it, and I'd hope that you'd know that about me by now. I'm simply making the point that South Park mocked many of our beliefs and our history. I didn't see us financially boycotting anything. We take it in stride and move on. I still don't feel sorry for cruise and I wasn't personally offended by any South Park episode.
i should have made mention that you would have been well aware of this fact as i know you would know....

the thing with the scientology episode, and the difference between the mormon episode and the scientology episode imo, is the information provided on the scientology belief system is their 'secret' beliefs. the first vision, the translation of the bom, is information that should be accessible by any person interested. if south park did a spoof on our temple practices i think many a mormon would not watch the show again....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Let me clarify my earlier stance a bit. First of all, let me say that while I have seen a few clips here and there from South Park, I have never watched a complete episode. Part of why I say it is a stupid move (the financial threat) is because I think it will backfire. It seems heavy-handed and it has been widely ridiculed in the press. And here we are discussing the episode. Finally, while I generally like Tom Cruise as an actor, his politics and his scientology turn me off, especially his scientology. His public trashing of Brook Shields and his ignorance regarding mental health were shocking. I have also read articles indicating that he leads a pretty insular life. Never reads newspapers and avoids computers and the internet. Not the kind of guy I want to root for.

He certainly has the right to do whatever he wants. But his actions are open to criticism.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:38 AM   #27
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
South Park HAS aired an episode degenerating Mormons
You mean "denigrating," right?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:00 AM   #28
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
You mean "denigrating," right?
Yes. Yes I did.

JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote