cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
We like the cars
The cars that go boom
We are Tegan and Sara
And we like the boom!
Wow. Nice memory. I haven't heard those lyrics in over 15 years.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #12
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I was listening to a local radio deal here in Hong Kong and this song came on.
Are you in Hong Kong? I'll be there this weekend. Any suggestions on restuarants or things to do?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #13
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Are you in Hong Kong? I'll be there this weekend. Any suggestions on restuarants or things to do?
I am back in Utah now. But when I am there it is always for work; which consists of waking up at 7 am heading into Shenzhen or Guanzhou, China and being in meetings or touring facilities till around 7 pm and then making my way back into HK. Point being, I get about 1 day a week to myself but I get out a little. I recommend the Sheraton Tower and Hotel in Kowloon as a place to stay. The rooms are nice and some face Victorian Harbor. The real key here is the service, it is top notch.

At 8 pm every night there is a light & Lazer show on both sides of the Harbor. It is cheesy but if you haven't seen it, its worth the 12 minutes it takes. Make sure you ride the MTR (subway, also called the octopus) at rush hour. You get to experience the sardine effect. Wallet in front pocket always.

Dining, that depends. If you are looking for western cuisine, there is a decent Chicago steakhouse called Dan Ryan's who has the most delicious chili and I have to have a bowl each trip. A Morton's inside the Sheraton and they have outbacks and TGIF's or whatever other western food you are looking for. For breakfast the Sheraton on the 18th floor has a great spread that is complementary for me but is still affordable. They have amazing french toast. Although, my food tastes could be skewed as HK is usually the last 4-5 days of trips that last 14-17 days. Those first 10 or so days, I don't get a lot to eat as I am in the flyover parts of china and usually being offered fried baby ducks or some other fine cuisine. So I may just be really hungry. Don't eat at the spaghetti house. The Oyster Bar on the 18th floor of the Sheraton is considered the best in the city. If you can't tell, I usually eat pretty close to the Sheraton, if not in it.

For authentic Cantonese, Victoria City Seafood. They have a great selection of dim sum(this is from locals and colleagues as I am not that adventurous) . It is in the traditional style restaurant where you will pick your selections from the live well. This includes fish, prawns and anything else they are offering.

Get some tailor made shirts, sports coat or suits made. I had three shirts made this trip. It cost me just over $50 each. I use http://www.atimeless.com/ The shirts were done in 36 hours and fit absolutely perfect.

I am a Disney guy, So DHK is small and can be done with a evening pass, which is $24 US. It is cool right now since they are celebrating Halloween, HK loves Halloween.

Other than that, explore the city. Tsim Sha Tsui is a great district inside of Kowloon that is fun to explore. If you have a Chinese Visa, take the MTR at East Tsim Sha Tsui station to Lo Wu. It takes about 40 minutes and the first large building when you clear the border, you can't miss it, is the knock off mall where you can get purses, glasses, watches and whatever else everyone at home is begging you to get.

Careful of the watch sellers on the streets in HK, they will take you into apartments, sometimes multiple to find what you are looking for. While it is mostly safe and they have top quality knock offs, I recommend that you do that with 2 or more people.

also remember there is almost as much city below ground as there is above.

Good luck and have fun. Let me know if you find other places to eat!
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "

Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 10-30-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
CJF

Great information. Thank you for taking the time to go through that. I will be staying on the other side of the Island. I'm staying at the JW Marriott on Queensland or something like that, but in the business district. Are you familiar at all with the area? Do I just need to go to Kowloon? I could change my hotel still, but I do need to stay in a Marriott because....well, because it's free. There is a Renaissance that is a harbor view also. Should I change?

I can eat Western food at least half the year, so I'm looking for something very unique to Hong Kong and the region. Any suggestions there?

Do I need a visa to visit Shenzhen? I know I'm good for Hong Kong and Macau, but I was under the impression I needed a visa for Shenzhen. I'd like to visit even if only for a few hours if I don't need a visa.

Again, thanks for your help and recommendations. I appreciate it.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great information. Thank you for taking the time to go through that. I will be staying on the other side of the Island. I'm staying at the JW Marriott on Queensland or something like that, but in the business district. Are you familiar at all with the area? Do I just need to go to Kowloon? I could change my hotel still, but I do need to stay in a Marriott because....well, because it's free. There is a Renaissance that is a harbor view also. Should I change?

I can eat Western food at least half the year, so I'm looking for something very unique to Hong Kong and the region. Any suggestions there?

Do I need a visa to visit Shenzhen? I know I'm good for Hong Kong and Macau, but I was under the impression I needed a visa for Shenzhen. I'd like to visit even if only for a few hours if I don't need a visa.

The only food I remember is the sushi-go-round near our hotel on Kowloon. My wife and I were traveling with some picky eaters so we would sneak away and fill up on sushi when they weren't looking.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I was walking with the ghost I said please, please don't insist....

You are in the midst of several serious indie aficionados Gidge, don't sell us short. :-)

P.S. I haven't forgotten you guys, we have been sick one at a time for the last while. We'll get to it.
I don't know what this means about me, but I always ALWAYS assume everyone is older and more mature than me. I still call peers at church Brother and Sister and avoid using their first names, ha! SO I guess I also assume that older people than me wouldn't know who Tegan and Sara are. I am sorry for this misjudgment. The conclusion is likely that I am getting older too huh?
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
I don't know what this means about me, but I always ALWAYS assume everyone is older and more mature than me. I still call peers at church Brother and Sister and avoid using their first names, ha! SO I guess I also assume that older people than me wouldn't know who Tegan and Sara are. I am sorry for this misjudgment. The conclusion is likely that I am getting older too huh?
I prefer Brother and Sister and then first name. Like Sister Tegan and Sister Sara.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You are fine staying on that side. I have been over to Wan Chai for two reasons, one is the convention hall and the other is a street tram you can take to the top of the island. There is a shopping center at the top but you go up for the views.

I would come over at night, take the star ferry, to Kowloon for the light show and to walk Tsim Sha Tsui. The area is bustling. You can also take the aerial tram http://www.np360.com.hk/html/eng/front/index.asp that you pass on the way from the airport and ride to the top of the mountain where there is a cultural village and a giant Budda.

Traditional food, other than one I mentioned for Cantonese, I can't really help. Sorry.

And yes you need a Visa to get into Shenzhen. You maybe able to work out a 7 day with the embassy, but I am not familiar with this and have not done it.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "

Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 10-30-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #19
CJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
You are fine staying on that side. I have been over to Wan Chai for two reasons, one is the convention hall and the other is a street tram you can take to the top of the island. There is a shopping center at the top but you go up for the views.

I would come over at night, take the star ferry, to Kowloon for the light show and to walk Tsim Sha Tsui. The area is bustling. You can also take the aerial tram http://www.np360.com.hk/html/eng/front/index.asp that you pass on the way from the airport and ride to the top of the mountain where there is a cultural village and a giant Budda.

Traditional food, other than one I mentioned for Cantonese, I can't really help. Sorry.

And yes you need a Visa to get into Shenzhen. You maybe able to work out a 7 day with the embassy, but I am not familiar with this and have not done it.
Again, thanks for your insight. It is appreciated.