cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 24: Season 2

I just started watching Season 2.

It's interesting how the fantasy of Jack Bauer is so appealing. The all-american guy who won't be bothered by the rules to get the job done and keep his family and the american people safe. This is especially appealing in these times.

As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of Gitmo and torture. I guess I have a nuanced position: we should not officially endorse torture, nor practice it in public. Would it dismay me if a Jack Bauer or two existed? No. But it should never be official or public. And one more thing: if you are willing to torture or kill for this country, you must be willing to be tortured, killed or convicted for this country. Meaning that the torturer is imprisoned by his own country. If he is not willing to make that sacrifice, then he shouldn't be in the business.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I just started watching Season 2.

It's interesting how the fantasy of Jack Bauer is so appealing. The all-american guy who won't be bothered by the rules to get the job done and keep his family and the american people safe. This is especially appealing in these times.

As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of Gitmo and torture. I guess I have a nuanced position: we should not officially endorse torture, nor practice it in public. Would it dismay me if a Jack Bauer or two existed? No. But it should never be official or public. And one more thing: if you are willing to torture or kill for this country, you must be willing to be tortured, killed or convicted for this country. Meaning that the torturer is imprisoned by his own country. If he is not willing to make that sacrifice, then he shouldn't be in the business.
I am watching Season 2 right now as well, i am at about 1:00am. Great so far, i actually like it better than season one.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
And one more thing: if you are willing to torture or kill for this country, you must be willing to be tortured, killed or convicted for this country.
Just wait...
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Season 2 and Season 5 are the best seasons so far. In my humble opinion of course.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I watched all five seasons over the past year. Love it. My shows are LOST, 24, The Office.

There was a season where the constant torture scenes got tedious for me. But I don't think it was 2, seemed later than that. Can't remember. At first it was cool to see how Jack could break someone, then see how he could withstand some torture, but then it got to the point where Jack was torturing a kid for saying the dog ate his homework. "HOW BAD DO YOU NEED YOUR LEFT HAND??!!"

Man I wish I could do that in my life. Your daughter tells you the C on her report card is due to that the teacher hasn't processed all her homework and it will soon be an A. Pointing a gun at her brother "I SWEAR I'LL KILL HIM UNLESS YOU TELL ME THE TRUTH!!"
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my favorite lines from the series:

Terrorist: (agonizing in pain) "You're hurting me."
Jack: "Trust me, I'm not."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote